Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,635 Posts
George W said:
You'll be able to Catch coho Salmon, And brown trout right when ice melts! You'll see a lot of guys power lining for them but you can also take them with rod and reel. usually the jumbo Perch don't start showing till about mothers day, but before then You can Get the coho salmon, And Brown trout. About a week or two after ice leaves is when i'll hit the smallies But Really don't start full-time until april.

for perch you can use small plastics, minnows, anything along those lines when the jumbos come in you can throw inline spinners, crank baits etc.

hope this little information helps.

George

:D
Don't forget about the favorite of all time fish out there "Steelies" the steelhead will be moving in and out all winter and and early spring ;)

· Registered
2,635 Posts
fishinnut28, for the steelhead in the spring, I would use frozen cocktail shrimp from the Market on a fixed float. Otherwise I usually head to the rivers and tackle them on a fly rod. I am sure spawn still works around this time of year. I just haven't done it at all in the harbors. Usually in the fall is when I only fish for them and shrimp n spawn worked in the harbors around that time of year. You can catch salmon. But when anyone gets that steelhead, it's a pride n joy since salmon are known to be caught. Everyone that fish's Salmon is twice as happy when they catch a Steely, the fight on there runs is twice intense as they will shoot out of the water like a bullet and change direction and swim like crazzy the other direction as you are trying to reel in your slack line. These fish are crazzy man! LOL. Do a little research on Google and go from there. There is really great info you can find from a Bioligists that has studied these fish over the spring periods and how they react. Cause all the info I gave you now is almost all I have for the harbors in the spring. If we were talking steelhead on the fly, then that's another story and gameplan ;)

Dave

· Registered
2,635 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
SO WAT DO U THINK, WILL ALL THE DAMN ICE BE GONE By SATURDAY
It's too hard to predict until someone gets out there to fish it or check it :lol: I'm waiting on you to tell me :D lol so I don't have to make the trip out there :wink:

Dave

· Registered
2,635 Posts
Legend075 said:
Kenosha is open. Heading out there tonight for some browns.
Larry, you and Tim better kill em out there ;) I should have a good outing tonight too. By the way. That crappie was when i was setting my tip-up up. I was free handing it and saw him on the Zercom come up n hit the roach. It was pretty cool. I wish you woulda been there. We always have next year though. But this spring should be awesome!

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.