Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just kind of curious today, so.... Eh... What do you think your Skunk rates are on lake Michigan?

Like, I only went there once with catching something that I can remember.
That's out of 3 times, so yeah...

And it just needs a rate like, 65% of the time, you catch a fish.

Remember, this is aimed towards salmonids, and smelts.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ive been out there a few times and dont know what im doing LOL. I have 0% sucess for smallies. I can pretty much get a largemouth If I try but no big ones yet. And I go almost 50/50 for salmon but I usually get 2. Also this isnt the shore fishing salmon season-try in september.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I would say with disregard to species it depends a lot on whether or not you have a boat. I almost exclusively bass fish along the lakefront. I hit it in the fall for the salmon but mostly because my fishing buddies are down there. Years past I'd catch one about 50% of the time we went down there. Last 2 years I've caught one or two all season :(

For bass, if you get skunked in a boat on Lake Mich you need to either fish more often and get better at it or donate your boat to charity and find another hobby to waste your time with as the fishing gods do not smile down upon thee with favor :p

From shore, hard to say. I think I read someone had a signature on one of these fishing sites that said; "There is no such thing as a skunk I just ran out of time." That really kinda hits the nail on the head for shore fishing in Lake Mich in my experiences. It's all about locating the fish. Usually along the lakefront if you can find them you can catch them because they are near the shoreline to feed. Sometimes you have to walk a few miles to find them though. Maybe once or twice a year I go down to the lakefront thinking I'll catch a bass and don't.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
For me, shore fishing for trout or salmon about a 20-25% success rate per outing. (That of course translates to 4 or 5 long round trips to the lake to catch something. I don't even like eating the greasy, contaminated things. Take a fish like a coho - even if I wanted to release it, half it's scales have come of by the time it's unhooked, so I gave up on the salmonids)

For perch, a near 100% success rate. My winter Navy Pier 'come home with a limit' rate is around 90% of the time. My brain was not designed to comprehend what a perch skunking is. :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
svslider said:
Ive been out there a few times and dont know what im doing LOL. I have 0% sucess for smallies. I can pretty much get a largemouth If I try but no big ones yet. And I go almost 50/50 for salmon but I usually get 2. Also this isnt the shore fishing salmon season-try in september.
Hmmm. Ok, for the salmon... How are Browns and Rainbows/steelies? I heard they are around this time of year, unlike the Salmon. But are you sure that you have to wait that long for coho's??? From one of my earlier posts, one guy with his 50 line long post said that Coho's are abundant in April and Early may... What spots around... Let's say Gov Pier should I cast for Salmonids/Trout?? I mean, I don't nescscerely know what type of "shelter" do Salmon take, or lake-run trout for that matter. I mean do you just cast out randomly into the lake, at random spots, or are there like little Tire-reefs off shore?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.