Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some info I copied from Des Plaines Park Dist website:

Fishing
Fishing is permitted on the shores of Lake Opeka. The lake is stocked with largemouth bass, croppies and trout. All fishermen must have a Lake Park Pin or purchase a daily activities pass. Live bait is available at the Lake Park Clubhouse.
Fishing Hours
Weekdays: 7 am-Sunset
Weekends: 6 am-Sunset

Annual Fishing Pass
Family Pass: $40/Resident - $55/Non-Resident
Individual Pass: $25/Resident - $50/Non-Resident

Daily Fee
Adult: $6/Resident - $8/Non-Resident
Youth: $5/Resident - $7/Non-Resident

Sailing and Boating
Lake Opeka is a great location for an afternoon sail or paddleboat ride. Boating is available at Lake Park for personal watercrafts and rental through the Lake Park Clubhouse. All boaters must check in and out of the Clubhouse.
Boating Hours April-May & September-October June-August
Weekdays - 10am-6pm
Weekends 10am-6pm 10am-6pm

Boat Rentals
All boaters must be at least 14 years of age or be accompanied by an adult. All rentals are arranged in the Clubhouse. Sailboat rentals require skipper's card certification. Paddle Boat 2 person: $10 per 1/2 hour
4 person: $14 per 1/2 hour
Rebel Sailboat $25 Hourly

· Registered
1,151 Posts
ew there are NO trout in the lake. there used to be. They stocked them many many years ago.

Lake Opeka Fish:
Bluegill-plentiful
Channel Catfish-in there
Bullhead- in there
Crappie-plentiful but not the easiest to catch
Rock Bass- a few
Yellow Bass- a few
Largemouth Bass-plentiful
Northern Pike-rare but I caught one and have seen others caught
Common Carp-everywhere
Perch-only seen one caught... and my little sister caught it.

Im sure Topwater will have something to add to this but I believe thats it. I have caught all of those fish in Opeka except Channel Catfish but I have seen them caught and just like everywhere else they are in there.

· Administrator
5,370 Posts
Thanks for the info Tony. And nice follow up too Creighton.

The price for non-residents is indeed absolute silliness. Might have to have a Des Plaines resident pick me up a pin. :wink:

· Registered
702 Posts
JasonN said:
Thanks for the info Tony. And nice follow up too Creighton.

The price for non-residents is indeed absolute silliness. Might have to have a Des Plaines resident pick me up a pin. :wink:
You can buy mine! $20 bucks! I actually like the fact that nonres rates are ridiculous, keep the riff raff away :p People forget, it is a local park district lake, not a state or county lake, and part of the local property taxes actually do go to the park district.

As far as fish in there, Creighton you'd know a lot better than me! I'm just a hack angler! I've seen northern, LMB and pretty sure a SMB, panfish, and the ton of carp. But haven't pulled anything but LMB, Northern and the possible SMB out myself. It's a good fishery, if you get skunked, like me, its your own fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.