Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bucket heads started out using the buckets to carry their gear in and then to sit on while fishing. They also use them to transport their catch. The guys using plastic bags are just refining the system. If you walk around real early you may spot the guy on the bike that places set lines around the lake. He gets there early so no one catches him checking his lines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
lake sucks unless your into catch and release. but why catch em if you cant eat em. The lake is going to be so overpopulated with fish since its catch and release evrything is going to remain the same small size

·
Registered
472 Posts
With the easy access and fishing pressure that Lake Glenview gets if it wasn't catch and release the place would soon look like Skokie Lagoons. I think that the catch and release rule keeps alot of the fishermen, that leave their garbage around the lake, away. There are alot of folks fishing for carp but they also keep anything else they catch. Also Glenview does not have the resources to keep stocking the lake. As far as why fish if you can't keep it, I enjoy the sport envolved in trying to figure out what it will take to catch a fish. I also enjoy the fight the fish gives. There isnn't many sports where you can return your prey to fight another day.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Another thing that Jim didn't mention is the fact that the lake will never be overpopulated. I am not convinced that the bass, walleye and northerns are able to spawn successfully there. The panfish, well that is another story.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sustenance? Nice. I love the sport more than you know but its work so you are rewarded if you get to keep them. And how do you know Glenview does not have the resources, its a ritzy town and the taxes are high. They have the resources. Bottom line is too many people there that don't know how to fish and they leave there crap all around, place sucks

·
Registered
472 Posts
nsselle,
If you consider fishing work and therefore you must be rewarded by keeping anything you catch maybe you ought to find another another sport . Can you name any town on the North Shore Area with low taxes, that supports a no-fee lake, man made lake ? You are entilted to your opinion that the Glen sucks, if you don't like the place , stay away. The people that leave their garbage are mostly "meat hunters "(bucketheads) They do not respect the posted rules. Those of us who fish the Glen on a regular are thankfull for this resourse and we do our best to see that the rules are followed. We talk to the folks who break the rules and let them know if they do not stop we will report them to the police that are responsible for enforcing the rules. Have a good year fishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Ditto to what Jim said. I think that maybe nsselle is a troll on the site that is trying to ruffle a few feathers. :roll: Either that or he doesn't understand the meaning of sport fishing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would love to meet you and you can call me troll to my face. Anyways Its not work at all I just enjoy eating fish that I catch and "work: hard for. I dont really mean work like its a job, its just tough fishing sometimes. I don't fish the Glenn anymore because of what you call "bucketheads" I can't stand the people that make that once beautiful lake look like crap. As for the other guy with the troll comment anytime you want to bring it let do it buddy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
nsselle, Please re-read my last posting. I did not call you a troll and I am not looking for a fight(too old). It looks like we have a definite difference of opinion on what fishing should. I am curious, have you ever confronted any of the folks leaving garbage around the Glen ?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
:shock: I am sorry if I offended you by that comment, but obviously you do not know what a troll is. I was not calling anyone a name, but making reference to what people that make those kind of posts are sometimes called.

Troll: Someone that makes a post to stir up comments from others without anyway of identifying who the poster is. Usually said comments are controversial. The poster is usually someone that is a registered member under another name.

BTW, I have nothing to hide and put a real name with my posts.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
:shock: lol

The Glen is actually a pretty good fishery imo,take it for what it is

·
Registered
253 Posts
JungleJim: I have confronted these people last time I did I had to just walk away because I think the guy was ready to beat me up. I saw him throw a walleye in his plastic bag and told him I don't think thats a very good idea and he should release the fish before it dies. He gave me the big FU. Im not a big fan of confrontation too much of that when I was younger. I havent been back since because it makes me sick the way people abuse this lake.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I don't believe in confronting those ignorant idiots either. I just point out the fact that it is a CPR lake and then if they don't get the picture, I gladly make a phone call. Usually when they see me picking up my phone after telling them to throw it back, they do.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maybe confront is a bad choice of words. I politely mention the rules and let them know that the police regularly patrol the place. I also point out the signs where the rules are posted. I have never been told to f--- off. I mostly get that they didn't know the rules. I don't have cell phone but several of the folks I fish with do and they have made calls to the cops. In almost every case the cops have responded with either a warning or in the case of one guy a $250.00 ticket.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I find the dialogue interesting and see much passion about Lake Glenview. I, too, think it is a beautiful facility and hope much can be done to keep it that way. Tooth and JJ, it seems to me it would be helpful for the Village to get input from the fishermen as to issues with the lake. Most of the employees probably know very little about lake managment. Hopefully the guy you saw represents a start by the Village to better manage the lake. Improving the fishery and balancing the fish hiearchy benefits the ecosystem all the way around. Adding trash containers in more places could work to hold down the trash (which I pick up too if I see a larger item laying there. I always carry my waste out if no containers around). If I remember correctly, there's very few at the north end. Has anybody questioned the Village about the stocking, when is it done, what kinds of fish do they stock, dollars allocated to stocking, etc? Normally, I would think that initial stocking is done over a couple of years to start a facility and then nature takes over (naive that I am on these things). Unfortunately, it's location in a fairly well populated area will always subject it to fishing pressure. Not sure how one deals with that except by catch N release as done now. Anyway, some 2 cents while at work. LZ

·
Registered
17 Posts
ClancyWiggum said:
In fact I don't even know if the fish in there are really spawning that well. They stock that lake on a regular basis and I haven't really seen any small bass or walleye in there. They all seem to be stocked fish that grew up. Anyone else ever see baby fish in there???
I've spent a lot of time on this water. I have seen plenty of fry and fingerlings during the summer months, and occasionally I've spotted small schools of them roaming around. I completely agree with junglejim tho, the northerns are not doing enough to control small fish populations. A good percentage of bass and the handful of walleyes I've pulled have been stunted and/or skinny. IMO the issue isn't the lack of spawning areas, its the lack of forage in general, and especially for the fingerlings due to the excessive amounts of gills and shad.

Arbitrary opening date or not, I like the fact that the bass are allowed to spawn in relative peace. And the main reason I fish this lake is because it's catch and release. If people were keeping all the bass they landed I promise this place would dry up fast. I haven't had the need to call the authorities yet, most people just aren't aware of the rules and don't notice the signs. I do, however, have the non-emergency number in my phone and won't hesitate to call them in a case of an individual who ignores the rules after they are told. There are plenty of northern illinois lakes that have some good size fish that can be kept, there's no reason people can't do some exploring and keep those fish instead.

Nsselle, I have an uncle and a couple friends who have the exact same mindset so I understand where you are coming from. But I'm of the opinion that the relaxing time I have when I'm out fishing is reward in itself, and being lucky or clever enough to alter presentation to get them to strike is an added bonus. A lot of the enjoyment I get is from having bad fishing days, it's a personal challenge to learn new techniques. This is why fishing is a great "sport", there is something in it for everyone.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.