Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit up lake sterling in lake county today. Its supposed to have good musky populations so thats all I had on my mind. I picked up a few mepps musky lures at bps on my way. I went all around both lakes but it seemed a slow day for fishing with the high sun and clear sky.
At one point I flushed a bird out from cover and it landed right away again. It seemed odd behavior so I got closer and it was hiding under the ground plants. It flew again and I saw the problem- It was tangled in monofilament line :roll: I threw my jacket over it to calm it down and got to work freeing it from the mono- when I let it go it flew real good and appeared uninjured?
Then I finally hooked into a fish on my big mepps musky lure- My first warmouth! It was big, and a good looking panfish with its stripes and red eyes. Eventually I got a small bass but no muskies today.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
you and Rich L are the bird rescue team. good job. Hopefully that will lead to positive fishing results as a reward

I went to Sterling once earlier this year and saw a dead musky on shore that was probably around 34" so I know they're in there.

·
Registered
748 Posts
They are in there and not just a couple of them,tough fishing for them from shore on a sunny day,need to make very long casts,wait for a windy day overcast,rain,fish the wind swept shores ,water is very clear in this lake makes it a problem.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
oldsalt said:
They are in there and not just a couple of them,tough fishing for them from shore on a sunny day,need to make very long casts,wait for a windy day overcast,rain,fish the wind swept shores ,water is very clear in this lake makes it a problem.
I went to Sterling about a month ago. It was a NASTY, rainy day. I ran into a guy in the parking lot who was wearing flip flops. I saw his fishing outfits (big rods, big bucktails, huge spinners) and asked him if he was planning on fishing for musky. That wasn't you, was it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.