Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Lake Storey / Lake Rice - Galesburg, IL

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FishinMatt 
#1 ·
I spent Mother's Day in Galesburg, IL visiting my girlfriend's family. I've always heard of Lake Storey, but never had my fishing equipment to give it a try. I worked the entire lake from shore on Saturday morning, but couldn't get bit.

Played golf from 10 til 2PM. The country club I played at is adjacent to Lake Rice. It was too hard to resist a few casts along the shoreline. Didn't get a bite, but noticed a nice 3lb (approximate) lazily cruising along the shoreline. Threw everything at this guy, but it wasn't fooled.

Spent late Sunday afternoon at Lake Storey to give it one more shot. Oh man, I saw three different bass in three different locations - all of them where 3 to 4 lbers! They were resting in the shade just a foot from shore. I worked at pitching all kinds of bait at these guys, but they were not interested. Any advice?

Well, just before I was about to give up, I saw a small bass just hanging out along the shore. Just for fun, I pitched a beaver tail at the guy and he inhaled it immediately. See photo...

I can't wait to go back.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
FishinMatt, thanks for the advise. You are right about the crappie and bluegill - they're all over the shoreline. I actually had a hit on the beavertail as I was winding it in, and the fish made a flash before it swam away. It appeared skinny and a bit shiny, so I was thinking it might be a pike or muskie. Plus, my lure was shredded.

But, I was really impressed with the size of bass that was in Lake Storey. Most people around me were fishing for carp or catfish. I'm itching to go back soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.