Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience fishing Lake Zurich? I drove by it last week for the first time and it looks like it might be pretty sweet. Anyone care to weigh in? I think I would be fishing from shore.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This lake used to be a real gem back in the 80's and 90's... Loaded with bass and northern, I grew up as a kid with my Dad taking my brother and I to the big Z and we were always rewarded... As we grew older, ice fishing became a popular option with our family as 20 flag days were always a possibility... This lake a took a real turn though in the past 5-7 years... I had my last great trip there in 2003 and ever since I have caught next to zero outta there...

The boat rental has had issues, they have had weed kills and the fishing has just flat out been difficult... Had an ice fishing trip there this past winter where the only flag popped at the very end of an 8 hour a day and landed me a 30 inch northern that was probably only 5 pounds... The panfishing in there is non existant and the even the reliable bass in the winter seem to have disappeared... I hear they still catch here and there on the east end of the lake off 22 but other than that it is few and far between...

BPM

·
Banned
136 Posts
I would have to agree. I caught the biggest fish of my life from in there last year, a 40" Musky, however, that was complete luck. That was probably the only fish i caught there all year. I fish over by paulus park, where they just recently put in a walking path for joggers. Ever since they did that the fishing has been terrible. I mean i used to go there and catch at least 10 bass and a few pike each outing. But now there are so many weeds im lucky to get one dink bass.

Cliff G

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Interesting to hear that the muskies have reached 40 inches there... I thought it would easily been another year or two before they reached that size... What did you get him on? From shore? Good to hear something is thriving in there... Maybe that lake will make a come back and someone like me who has fished it since he was a little kid, will get the opportunity to enjoy it again...

BPM

·
Banned
136 Posts
Like i said it is still terrible, it was just one fish, but still a great fight on 10 lb line and a spinning reel. Havent caught anything over there latley, but this spot used to be a gold mine.

The musky was caught on a large roach on the bottom.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.