Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I went to the lakefront for a few hoping to catch some salmon. Quite a few people were down there but nobody was catching anything. We were fishing in front of the Planetarium where there are alot of rocks so I threw on a shallow diving DT-3 and man did it hit! I thought it was a salmon and to my surprise it was a big dogfish. He swallowed the whole lure, but I was able to get it out. The hook did nick it's gill but it did seem fine when it swam away.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice bowfish!

Lakefront is like the ocean.
You never know what you'll catch.

At first I thought it was a snakehead.
On the snakehead the lower anal fin goes along the entire length of the body.
On the bowfish the lower anal fin is very short.

Still a fun catch!
:D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. It was definately a surprise, never expected this one! Like Rollcast said, there is everything in Lake Michigan you never know what you will bring in. Most people don't like dogfish they look at them like carp, but personally I think thay are a cool looking fish. They are prehistoric looking and ferocious. I bet this guy sucks up plenty of those gobies!!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
That's one of the bigger ones I've seen. Never thought they could be pulled from LM. Put that in your strange catch category!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.