Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For years I've wondered about this we are a brotherhood of anglers on WCF. I enjoy the posts of almost everyone even if I think you're wrong about everything else. We're still a free country and nobody is being shipped away in trains even if we're in a dysfunctional state.

I've known at least two members die and perhaps a third. This is the only online forum I belong to and in a sense I consider you all friends.

As the Russian expression goes "rybak rybaka" or "A fisherman spots a fisherman from afar." We are such men despite our diffences we have a common bond and love of fishing.

I'm Mike Pudlo from Niagara, WI. If you show up to my house I'll likely take you fishing if you have over a 1, 000 post unless you're social media type pretending to be a badass. Brett and Pat also know how to contact me.

At my funeral place tubes, wacky worms, chatters in my casket and any other tacky lures as my hands will be filled with Hennessey and a tech-9 from my brothers. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta. Or at least post something thoughtful like 'Mike sucked as a fisherman, member and clearly he struggled in writing class, only guilt brought me here like the rest of you.'

You should consider leaving your name or names of other members who can contact you.

·
Super Moderator
6,178 Posts
Interesting idea. Back in the CLF boom I had an older guy take me out for perch on Lake Michigan and in return I took him out for a day on Delavan. I learned a few years later that he passed. I wonder about some of the other older guys that were very active and fell of the charts. Anyone remember Fishead, and is he still kicking? I went on a group Lake Erie trip with him once and also met him on Delavan.

You will know something is wrong with me if the boards are overtaken with spam. With my occupation I keep my personal information private, but there are a few active members like Ohfman and Coyote that could be reached to potentially know my status.

Mike, one of these days I have to fish that river with you. It blows my mind what you pull out of that raging water.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Back in the CLF boom I had an older guy take me out for perch on Lake Michigan
That wouldn't happen to be Snowgoose Frank by chance? I know he passed. For some odd reason, he liked me and was my inside source of where to find the perch in the Evanston/Wilmette area. He was part of a tight knit/tight lipped clan of older guys (most non-internet) that kept to themselves and would share with each other where the elusive perch were hanging out. It's very hard out there to find them via kayak on the big sea. One morning I paddled 9 miles before I found any, then hit the mother lode. I really appreciated Frank's helping me out! It often was the difference of coming home exhausted and skunked or coming home with a limit of jumbos and a great party time of catching them.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt I'd be flattered to take you on anyone else fishing. They're not my rivers or lakes just a few unspoiled spots that hold a few easy fish at times. I feel a need to pass it on to other respectful members.

I enjoy fishing with others, the comradery, trash talking, showboating and joking that only guys do. With my gf I'll make a fun bet with her about first, best and most fish and I tell her if I win it'll cost her a lot of dignity to which she quickly replies 'I'm still dating you, you've cost me plenty.' We both enjoy the beauty of the waters and quite honestly with her new fancy St. Croix rod, casting skills and smarts she outfished me this year. I only step it up so much about being competitive with her as enjoyment is most important but I never should have given her a KVD and Clunn books to read. The student has surpassed the master.

I get beat on my own waters all the time and once I'm done with my pitty party I try to learn what you're doing or thinking.

So I tried to find a 'death notice email service' on Google and just got some UK sites about notifying banks, etc. One would think in the USA there would be some possibility by every county or state for an internet service to ping their servers and notify whoever you want? Guessing there are legal issues on that matter which seems stupid to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,178 Posts
Ron, that would indeed be Snowgoose Frank. I'll never forget meeting him at his house and banging on the door for 5 minutes before he finally answered in nothing but his underwear. He sure did know how to target those perch. Not another boat in sight, and once we found them it was jumbo after jumbo. I insisted he keep the fish, but when we got back to his place he cleaned a triple limit and would not take no for an answer so I had enough perch to last a long time. In return I took him on Delavan for some summer pike fishing and he had a blast. I remember getting a little cranky because he accidentally broke my livewell latch, but seems pretty stupid now. That guy had a ton of knowledge on the big pond and probably would have gone out there every day if he had someone to tag along. I could see he had a bit of a hard time even then managing all the boat stuff.

Mike, you are a little over 2 hours from where I take a family vacation in Wisconsin every year, so maybe a road trip is in order if the Rona does not get us first.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron, great story about the old perch guys. Back in the 1970s we'd take a tug boat out to the brake walls when it was pitch black. Old asian guys were some good anglers to watch, my dad fished there from the 1940s with older ww2 buddy. Simple, poor fishermen from Ireland showed me amazing ways to catch river trout and Atlantic salmon, stuff you don't really hear about but being poor they have to think more. An aristocratic English man exchanged flies and stories with me at a fancy b&b pub in Ireland on his honeymoon as he took note of my Wyoming fly fishing hat and broke the ice. As only an English man could do he brings out an old, wooden hand crafted briefcase with 100s of flies and I bring out my Columbia vest with plastic Orvis boxes. My family and his wife were all surprised two grown men who are strangers could talk about fishing for so long.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I'm Mike Pudlo from Niagara, WI.
I didn't know you were in Niagara now. My best friend/room mate/best man/drummer in our Marinette rock band met someone from Norway, married her and moved there so I had a lot of friends from Norway, Niagara, Kingsford and Iron Mtn. We had access to the Niagara H.S. gym on Friday (or maybe Saturday?) nites and I spent many hours there playing basketball and volleyball. My Ontonagon wifey was living in Iron Mtn. when we met. You have to have pity on someone being stuck with me, then because of it being stuck in Illinois.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, sometimes people go away and you understand from their posts on getting married, buying a house, having a kid that it's just ... priorities. And then an older active member, like crankybass, just disappears, and you are left wondering.

·
Administrator
5,360 Posts
I never posted this a few close to me know... my dear friend Alex Voog who's screename was Skippy69 passed away in early 2020 after some struggles. Alex was a friend of the family and became my roommate when I was down and out in the early 2000's. I'm sure many remember him from a few of our tournaments, and of course he LOVED to fish the Skokie Lagoons, Busse, DPR, and several other places.

I know we lost RockFish (Rob? I think) maybe 15 years ago. And also MuskyHunter (Vicky, wife of Bob/Gangsta), who were both present at many of our early tournaments.

All that said, I'm Jason Norris, founder of WindyCityFishing and though I don't post as much, i'm actually out there fishing more than ever now. Running my own business now (online recipe site), and still living in the north burbs.

We should try to get another get together going at Deep Lake this year for an ice fishing outing. Maybe something we can chat about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the pleasure to meet up with Jason after 15 years, where else but the Fox River .Mike and Ron my road trips were up to your region..Had some amazing top water smallie bites on the river and great eats at Bartollettis.. I have been on the board for a long while but not a fan of posting pics so I have been back and forth on posting. I have lost a few friends over the last few years and I'm sure some friends, I don't even know about. I know, I am Thankful , for all the time on the water and the friends who have shared my passion. Stay Well!Be Healthy!

Kevin Summers aka The Fox River Fishin Musician

·
Administrator
5,360 Posts
I had the pleasure to meet up with Jason after 15 years, where else but the Fox River .Mike and Ron my road trips were up to your region..Had some amazing top water smallie bites on the river and great eats at Bartollettis.. I have been on the board for a long while but not a fan of posting pics so I have been back and forth on posting. I have lost a few friends over the last few years and I'm sure some friends, I don't even know about. I know, I am Thankful , for all the time on the water and the friends who have shared my passion. Stay Well!Be Healthy!

Kevin Summers aka The Fox River Fishin Musician
Kevin I can't wait to share with you how much fun I had over the next couple of weeks after I saw you. Really got dialed in and had some of my best smallmouth fishing ever.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I’ve been retired since Fall of 2012, so my fishing changed from weekends to weekdays. Thats part of the reason I have drifted away over time. I’ve always loved my time with members of WCF, either at tournies or the occasional one-on-one fishing. Any time i get in a discussion with someone in the Lake Zurich or Bangs Lake area, i always mention WCF as a great place with good guys. None of this political bullshit or personal sniping like you’d find at Chitown Angler or some other chicago area fishing sites (some are defunct i think). i hope to monitor WCF more in the future as I‘d like to join up with others so I’d have a weekday fishing partner or friend to go out with. Buddy system is always a good thing! Best wishes to all. LZ (Hans)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I never posted this a few close to me know... my dear friend Alex Voog who's screename was Skippy69 passed away in early 2020 after some struggles. Alex was a friend of the family and became my roommate when I was down and out in the early 2000's. I'm sure many remember him from a few of our tournaments, and of course he LOVED to fish the Skokie Lagoons, Busse, DPR, and several other places.

I know we lost RockFish (Rob? I think) maybe 15 years ago. And also MuskyHunter (Vicky, wife of Bob/Gangsta), who were both present at many of our early tournaments.

All that said, I'm Jason Norris, founder of WindyCityFishing and though I don't post as much, i'm actually out there fishing more than ever now. Running my own business now (online recipe site), and still living in the north burbs.

We should try to get another get together going at Deep Lake this year for an ice fishing outing. Maybe something we can chat about.
Good to hear from you Jason. Yes, we lost Rob(Rockfish) a long time ago now. Was back in 2007. He introduced me to this site back around 2005ish maybe? Was my teacher when it came to LM salmon fishing from a boat, and a damn good stick. He could compete with the best of them when it came to Lake Michigan. Used to fish with him every week, basically. Lots of good times were had on that boat of his. We were always one of the first boats in the water in early March up at 95th st too. Going after browns and the occasional steelhead. Miss him a bunch now that I'm writing this. Lost my Dad back in July. Me him and Rob were the 3 stooges out there, and damn did we have fun. I'll always be grateful to Rob. He provided a lot of great memories of me and my Dad fishing together.

Glad to hear you're still fishing a bunch. I'm still trying to fish as much as possible, but always something crazy going on that keeps me from getting out as much as I'd like. Had a son about a year and a half ago. Most my time is tied up in him. Can't wait until I can take him out too. The family grew. The boat needs to grow with it soon. Haha.

Hoping to be out Sunday to do some perching on the Calumet. Just need the lake to lay down, and it's looking like it's going to. Crossing those fingers. I need some of that LM gold.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Wow good read thanks for starting it Mike! I have to admit I dont check in to read WCF too often and stopped posting for the most part primarily due to the many trolls that dont contribute but read for intel and they may be gamefish harvesters. With reduction of IDNR and limited patrolling its easy for poachers to be poachers. Plus now if I start showing my recent catches its like Im bragging but im just a lucky Illinois waters hack.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,178 Posts
Beautiful fish ski. I keep posting here and there because I don't want this site to fall to the wayside like most of the others. I would say I report on about 25% of my boat trips. There have been some great outings I have kept to myself, because at times it does feel more like bragging and there are not many on the site I can truly connect with and exchange info on the places I like to fish. You would an exception with the DC stuff. I also keep my kids in mind when posting, because assuming this info will be archived years from now, I think it would be cool for them to go back and actually read a story about their old man and his adventures. A social media post with pictures and a few snippets of info does not come across the same way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I never considered posts of exceptional fish bragging! I just think of them the same way as the picture boards in the old time bait shops. All the better if there's an interesting or entertaining story to go along with it.
Really nice pike, by the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts