Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just wanted to keep you posted on Lasalle. I went out there this morning (Saturday) and arrived around 5am. Cars and trailers where lined up and I was probably 30 cars from entrance. I got on the water about 7am meaning that I had to wait in line for an hour.

Tomorrow I can only guess, is going to be the same. By 7am cars stretched all the way to the road turning into Lasalle. Took the bike out there and eventually ended up at the second dike. Plenty of shorefishermen out there along the first dike and first corner. Found the best area to be far from the first corner but closing in on the second corner at the second dike (hope that make sense). Fish were still biting, but I found that a little green pumpkin in your favorite soft plastic made the difference today. :wink:
All fish were caught close to the shoreline or with in 5 ft of it. No size but numbers prevailed. Whites, smallies, largemouth and the occasional yellow was had. Once the wind picked up around 11 or so the show pretty much stopped. Was it worth the trip you say? Yes. My problem is that I don't listen very well. I stuck around til 2 and found a few stray bites here and there but the bite had diminished significantly.
For those that are going out on the weekend, ya better take in consideration the early start. The lot was packed when I left and even tho you could probably get in......anything after 11 would be tough if you are looking for a good bite. Saw lots of chicken livers being thrown.
On a separate note, the shoreline seemed like a catfish graveyard with skulls and bones all over the place.
I forgot that as far as I biked, I had to make the return to the parking lot. Needless to say I haven't gotten a whole lot of excercise in the winter and am paying for that return trip now. Ouch.

Good luck out there.

JB

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is crazy!!
They make you form a line regardless of whether you want to shore fish or not. So I'm waiting for trailers to enter for an hour. That's Illinois!! At least, for now, they aren't charging admission.

·
Registered
825 Posts
JB,
Glad to hear you got some fish and had an enjoyable day. I was at Braidwood and experienced the change in the bite too. I caught some nice fish in the morning but when the sun came out, I really struggled. Good fishing.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
that sounds crazy. a turn off if you ask me. i know how exciting it is to get out after a long chicago winter. but that kind of wait seems kinda lame. fishing for me is an escape from that kind of traffic. that being said the reports from out there are pretty outstanding. good luck out there!

B

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went down on Friday for the 1st time and I too could of left a couple hours earlier. The bite from 8am to 11am was solid and then the mist cleared, sun was out and things slowed down. Ended up leaving at 1pm, I was frozen.
Same thing white bass, lmb, smallmouth and cats. Nothing very big but all off the rocks as you mentioned 5-8 ft out.
LUckily on a friday there was no lines to get in but it was crowded, can't imagine a weekend.
As a first timer I couldn't believe how quickly the shore gets packed. Unless you have a bike you can't really roam the shorline as people at every marker. I wasn't up for too long of a walk.
There were definitely alot of long rods and chicken livers all over.
Saw a lot of guys with nice size striper stringers.
Neat to finally see the lake as you hear so much about it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Glad to hear you got on some fish... My buddy made it out there Friday night and slept in the truck again. Same thing went for them as well as time with the bite. Thanks for the Report. I am making it out there next weekend.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We went out there sat and fished from shore, got there at about 11:30 waited in line for 45 min. Saw some big stripers pulled got a few ourselves nothing to brag, biggest being about 3 lbs. 20" or so. Bite cooled down around the 3pm mark. Great fishing just be prepared to wait in line and if you are on the shore bring a bike cause if you are on the first stretch you're fishing elbow to elbow with the guy next to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.