Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out with three of my cousins today and we hand a blast. I was expecting to catch a bunch of stripers and only would up catching three - one monster and two smaller ones. I didn't expect it to be such a productive day for smallies. I caught 5 smallies, including my personal best 17" 3 pound (approx. because I had a shitty hand scale that showed 3 1/4 so I erred to the downside). I also caught 2 LM, a chunky 18" and a modest 13". Oh yeah, and a few smaller channels. We couldn't keep 'em off the livers. No blues, unfortunately. I had pole out at all times for blues and didn't even get a nibble. Had a pesky bluegill on a liver which was humanely killed and used as cutbait. One of my cousins was absolutely killing stipers on livers, but I easily missed a dozen hits. I didn't realize that I was using way too much liver until later on in the day, while he was using smaller pieces and threading them through a bunch of times. Overall, my hookup percentage was upsetting because I easily could have limited out on stipers and added a few more black bass. :? More pics upcoming.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was my first time at Lasalle and I'm hooked. Wtih a m.o. at home and my wife being pregnant with #2, I'm probably not going to be able to get away as much this year, so I'm going to try to hit better lakes and rivers when I am able to get away instead of pounding places the DPR and Busse. The bass were a real surprise and I wasn't expecting to do as well as I did. I pretty much brought the baitcaster and lures for giggles, expecting to cash nothing but stripers and, maybe, cats. The lake itself pretty much has no structure outside of the shoreline rocks and a couple of deep holes, so the shore guy is really not at a disadvatage like at other lakes.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Nice outing! Nice smallmouth. There's something about having the opportunity of catching those types of fish this early in the season that makes the trip extra special. Glad to see you are hooked. :D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Good job, so were the smallies caught on a lure then? And im assuming you lost the pic of the big striper? Did you go far from the parking lot, or stay in that one spot? I really have to get out there before the shad spawn.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Lot of structure out their,old road beds,buliding foundations,row fences,
small humps,some of those road beds,the shore fisherman can access,when they are really pumping,the end of the center dike gets a whirl pool effect going,you also got the cement retainer wall in front of the intake,good spot right up against that wall

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We were hauling a lot of gear, so we stayed right at marker 30. Most of the bass were caught on a 4.5" Shadalicious in green shad. I wish we packed lighter and moved around more and I wish I spent more time fishing lures for bass. Despite spending the bulk of my time fishing for stripers, I didn't have a lot to show for it. I probably spent a grand total of 45 mins throwing lures and caught more bass than I do in a full day at the FP lakes. I plan on making at least one more trip out there, probably after Heidecke opens and the crowds die down. The western shore was packed like Waukegan during the chinook run. Lots of bucketheads - we did keep eating sized stripers, but fish on the big and small side were tossed back, as were all catfish. I saw some people keeping eel-like catfish and I serously thought the guys fishing to the right of us were going to start with us over me releasing the smallie in the last pic. They were dumbfounded that I would release a fish :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
svslider said:
If I go there Im gonna ask some bucketheads to take my pics for me and then ill throw the fish back in :D Then ill take a pic of the bucketheads face and post it as my first ever pic :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sound's like one hell of a trip, I've been to the hunting grounds in Marseilles before and heard about the lake but didn't know there was such good fishing! Man, sounds like I've got a trip to plan! Thanks for the great report! :p

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Nice pics Rob. Those tiny catfish are so abundant and aggessive. Lasalle is the only place I know of where I can consistentally catch cats on crankbaits all day. When I was out the other some of those little guys were slapping up against the side of the boat trying to get the lure as I was taking it out of the water. I've also caught them with a lure hanging over the side of the boat with a foot or two of line out. No limits on those babies, which is good. Every year I think of taking a cooler out there and filling up the pond behind my house with a bunch of them. It would be fun for the kids at least.

If you really want to bass fish out there, take a bike and a backpack and head out to the dike. You can fish both sides of it plus the tip. You can also fish the NE corner of the lake all the way up to the no limit marker. When the wind is blowing into that corner the fish stack up and it is fish in a barrel time. There are always a few guys willing to go that far, but it is a SMALL percentage of the overall shore anglers. Its nice to have hundred yard stretches of shoreline to yourself :wink:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Job out there, I still have yet to hit Lasalle this year. As most of my buddies have gone there so far. I have been stuck taking care of things before I go back to Wisconsin. Great Job Again! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.