Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know which gender pronoun to use for a fishing site anymore. I'd hate to get that wrong and be non-PC. Yeah right. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

'Just got word that ChitTownAngler is turning off the lights for good in a couple of months. Of the big four, WCF will be the last site standing. Angling One Hundred and One was the first to go. ChicagoLandFishing is basically a history archive and now ChitTown feels not worthy enough to live and has chosen suicide. That leaves only this site to carry on.

Long live WindyCityFishing!

·
Registered
461 Posts
That’s unfortunate. It is only a matter of time before wcf is gone.
I wonder wether we will outlast lake-link,
but doubt it.
I blame lizard people and their spokeslizard SuckerBerg

·
Registered
899 Posts
Makes me wonder if they also received an offer to sell along with Chi land & wcf. And, if they in fact did.?. & turned it down.?.............Doh!
But to be fair, if I were forced to make a bet 10yrs ago on which of the 3 would be the last man standing, I would've lost bigly, myself.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked ChiTown and used to participate but didn't like their stance that they owned my pictures, not me, and I quit posting. When I resigned my duties at Angling One Hundred and One, I made clear not to screw with me like I saw done to the previous exiting staff whenever any of them would break free. I guess that was too much to ask, so I immediately moved my off-site hosted photos to new folders, breaking links to around 2000 pics that adorned my reports and other posts. The site looked like crap with all the little error squares and missing photo messages.

I only check in about once a month on ChiTown and just happened to today, the day of the going out of business announcement. I did author one of it's biggest threads that ended up with 30,000+ views. I posted all the knowledge I got from cletedius, bassin larry, some asian twins and my own experimentation for using artificials for perch and I guess there was a whole lot of interest. :D

I hate to see any of these sites go or peter out. I don't plan on ever joining Facebook unless I do so for some commercial purpose.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Well maybe if WCF dies someone might pick up the pieces & start another one. Jason - you listening?

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
It seems there is enough activity to carry on here for awhile. Chitown was really getting slow, but they still had some good info. I'm sure we will get a few of them coming over here.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they would have given it another year, they would have made it to 20 years. It was a different time back then. Both Rambler and myself had our full faculties. Actually, I didn't know Rambler then so I really can't vouch if that ever was the case for him.

What I thought weird about the comments in the pull-the-plug announcement thread, there were many thanking for the years of providing the website, but not a single soul asking to reconsider the decision. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I never frequented the other sites, because this is the only real fishing site worth participating with imo. Plus I love all you mooks so much, with or without your faculties intact. ;)

Reactions: ganz1960

·
Registered
2017 x3
3 Posts
Bummed about CTA going away, but glad I just found this place! (Or, found it again - apparently I was already registered but my brain had no recollection of doing so.)
There’s an element to forums/places like this, a certain feel, you just don’t get from facebook groups.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still can't believe no members have asked or pleaded not to shut down the site yet. They all have just rolled over and accepted the decision. Why not sell it to verticalscope or similar website purchaser? If no offers for cash, why not pass the site on to a member or members that will pay the modest hosting subscription and keep it going? It's like person going to commit suicide and no one opens their mouth to convince them not too. "I liked you when you were alive and hate to see you go. Ok-go ahead and pull the plug. You'll be missed--maybe. OK, bye now"

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
There was a small site up here called upangler.com. It was a small, tight knit group but it eventually shutdown. It was the Red Green show of fishing sites with poor yooper guys stretching a dollar but they were hell of a bunch of anglers and hunters. It was very sad to see it go.

I'm too out of touch with major social media apps, but if forums like WCF died and Facebook was the only option left I'm not sure participate or contribute anymore online I can't put my finger on it yet but there's something too commerical about fb, Instagram, tiktok and their ilk that a push style over substance and your worth is based on the number of followers. Quite honestly I like the degree of aninimoty that WCF offers vs. FB where I don't have a bunch of co-workers, managers and family creeping on my personal life and if I want to act like a clown hopefully WAFers can see it's tongue in cheek and mostly harmless.

As much as some of you get my blood pressure going or make me shake my head we're still family in a sense. We're not too much into the vanity that other platforms suggest is a virtue. Let others who want to 'build their brand' take it some place else.

Were just a bunch of simple fishingmen who like to fish, report, brag or lie about our exploits and bitch at each other on other issues. All said and done I'd like to think we'd wish each other 'good luck' as one was heading to the water and as one was leaving.

Long live WCF!

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
So well said right there. When I look at something like SE Wisconsin fishing, which I do follow on FB, almost everything is a random picture of a fish, with little to no information. Really, it is just bragging. Or it will be a link to a crappy YouTube video.......

I do enjoy the old school nature of the report of a fishing adventure from start to finish. The type of tale where I can imagine the trip and feel like I am with the angler. So many people here tell great tales of their pursuits, and even though I might not personally know you, I feel like I do. That is what originally drew me to CLF and eventually here. Although I was not to active on Chitown it makes me sad for what is being lost.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is Rambler still standing? He normally posts 9 posts an hour. Now nothing in 9 days. I fear he touched something he shouldn't have and is now part of the grid.

Ah, he's probably just volunteering in Virginia, helping steal an otherwise lost election.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts