Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
I don't think the owner there Marc would mind, but I personally did not. At one time there was some competition between all the sites when they were still widely popular, however Chitown and WCF always stayed out of the fray. To me, it would be like stepping on their grave. I think most of those guys know to make their way over here if they want. Chitowns biggest base has always been Great Lakes Fishing, particularly salmon fishing, and that is not really a thing over here. Of course, there is plenty of opportunity for them to take off it here, but I think most will ride off into the sunset.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
At one time there was some competition between all the sites when they were still widely popular, however Chitown and WCF always stayed out of the fray.
It was worse than most even knew behind the scenes. CTA was involved with Marc even taking a restraining order out on one of the other site owners. They'd tail each other around. Even hire private investigators. Show up each others' court dates. Insane rivalry. Two sites worked together sharing IP address info of their members trying to figure out who certain "mystery members" were. Now nobody seems to care much at all and this weird behavior seems silly.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nice invite written over there Matt for lost members to come over here. Written perfectly! (y)

Still haven't seen the Rambler, though. Maybe he joined Chitown? He likes dead-end causes.

I'm still sticking with my theory he slid on the mud banks of the the Des Plaines, bumped his head, and now is running around for the last few weeks thinking he's Santa Claus. The cool thing about Rambler is that he never gives out lumps of coal. They are, after all, fossil fuel. 😈

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Thanks guys. I saw Luckydawgs pitch so I figured why not. Back when all the sites were competitive I got to know their owner Marc through messaging, and he seemed like a good guy. Out of respect I did not want to do any recruitment, but there obviously was some interest. Seeing as we are the last local site, banding together to help keep this going makes sense. It still stings a bit that Jason is not the owner anymore and all that goes with that. Hopefully some of those guys make their way over. It would be cool to get some of the least active forums going with the knowledge of many of their members.

Rambler. Where art thou?

·
Registered
908 Posts
I can't put my finger on it yet but there's something too commerical about fb, Instagram, tiktok and their ilk that a push style over substance and your worth is based on the number of followers. Quite honestly I like the degree of aninimoty that WCF offers vs. FB where I don't have a bunch of co-workers, managers and family creeping on my personal life and if I want to act like a clown hopefully WAFers can see it's tongue in cheek and mostly harmless.

As much as some of you get my blood pressure going or make me shake my head we're still family in a sense. We're not too much into the vanity that other platforms suggest is a virtue. Let others who want to 'build their brand' take it some place else.

Were just a bunch of simple fishingmen who like to fish, report, brag or lie about our exploits and bitch at each other on other issues. All said and done I'd like to think we'd wish each other 'good luck' as one was heading to the water and as one was leaving.

Long live WCF!
Well said!

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Rambler. Where art thou?
I thinks he's officially gone, riding off into the sunset like the Western heroes do.

If you click on his name that so litters up this site, you'd see that he hasn't even been on in 9 days, not even to see what we are saying about him. You all know I've tried everything to trick him to post but nothing has worked.

I still think it must have been a political spat he had with someone. He's probably the most educated man man on nature we've seen. He knows every butterfly, bug, flower and meaningless bird there is. The more he learns, the more he refuses to accept a creator for all of these cool things. That leaves him to put his faith in imbeciles and scam artists like John Kerry and Al Gore to save his grand kids from immanent destruction. He's got to be disillusioned to say the least even tho it's all under control but not by his buffoon saviors. That's got to do strange things to the brain and I'm guessing he had a spat over his ineffectual heroes or arguing that DJ Trump was the worst president ever. Political heroes are just temporary players on the stage and offer no lasting solutions to anything.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of sad that CTA is shutting down. I've always spent time on all of the forums in Chicago going all the way back to around 2004-2005. I was originally on here as a different name(same name as CTA). I never really posted reports there because like Ron said, I didn't like the idea of them just stating that they own my pictures. CLF, CTA, and WCF have always had their place, and their purpose, though. Each site was good for specific things. WCF has always been an outstanding resource for local lakes, forest preserve lakes, the local rivers and wading scene, kayak fishing, and bass fishing. CTA was always a great LM salmon resource, and just general LM resource, as was CLF in its heyday. CTA had plenty of other info, also. Hunting, foraging, and general outdoors stuff was always readily available on there. It was probably the most general outdoors site of the big three. Definitely going to miss it. Made some good friends there. Still some people I talk to and communicate with directly on the phone.

I'm kinda shocked Marc isn't going to archive it all and just leave it up for hosting, and just disable the posting portion. Losing all of that data and information kind of sucks. I'm also shocked that no one offered to take it over. I would if I had more time. Oh well. I'm sure we'll pick up quite a few here. The LM side of this site may get a little more attention now. We'll just have to wait and see.

This is where I spent my days when I was just cutting my teeth on river wading, and is the first fishing site I ever joined here in Chicagoland. My buddy Rockfish(RIP) is the one who got me on here back around 2004 or 2005, and he's the one who first got me out on Lake Michigan salmon fishing on a regular basis. He was damn good at it too. Lots of good memories here, so hopefully this one stays going for a long time yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
CLF was rollin' when it allowed all of the drama posts to remain alive, only intervening when someone stepped too far over the line. Saw lots of guys get banned for losing their shit. When the site was sold and the drama was cancelled, all of its members bailed out.

I understand how many members of these forums detest the drama but it always produces the most active threads. This site allows a certain degree of drama and a quick archive search proves that drama=traffic.

Guys like Rambler and Bassinlarry make things interesting as long as everyone keeps their shit together.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Choup, those were some fun days. Of all the shocking developments on these sites over the years, the fall of CLF was biggest for me. We had some real good laughs over there.
CLF was our playground and sure made the reports and time in between fishing outings fun.
Yep CLF was a barrel of laughs back in the day. Some shitposting too, but generally a lot of fun to participate in.

Same here, Matt. Of all the sites, I never would have seen CLF turning into the graveyard it did. It was so unbelievably active every day.

We had our fun here too back in the day. Back in the days of Washhusky, Rockfish, Larry Legend, Wrenching, KenG, etc.

Used to love Ken's forum too. Was a quiet little respite from the chaos of the other sites, and Ken packed so much info into it. It's one that I'm extremely happy that he has kept running with all the archived information, even though it's not really active with posters anymore. If there's anything I want to know about wading the Fox, that's my encyclopedia.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts