Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the late post, but I've been way too busy with work & life in general lately to post anything. Been hittin' Beck, Oakton, & the river since last Friday with nothing too special to report other than a few medium sized bass from Beck & Oakton and a couple smaller pike from the river.
Had a rare 1/2 day of work on Tuesday, and wouldn't you know it, I step outside of the office towards my car, the wind shifts, temp drops, and I say "Oh ****!" Hit Beck anyways, started on the east shore out of the wind with no luck so switched to the western shore & into the teeth of a 25 mph NE wind. Got two 10-12" bass on a minus-1 off of the "beach" in shallow water and was getting ready to call it quits when I noticed something near the boat launch. As I walked up I noticed a huge bass barely upright in about 6 in of water that I thought had just died. Upon closer inspection, I realized this fish was alive - barely - and had something lodged in it's throat. I snapped a couple quick pics and found approx. an 8 in crappie wedged sideways in the bass's mouth after the crappie had flared it's dorsal fins, and there was NO way the bass would've dislodged it. I tried by hand to remove the crappie but only ripped apart it's tail and cut my hand, so I set the fish back in the water, got my pistol grip style hook-outs, and was finally able to free the crapiie from the bass's throat. Amazingly the crappie began swimming away (it eventually died, I think) but the bass was a different story. I stood ankle deep in the cold water for about 5 minutes with the fish until I felt a strong enough whip of the fish's tail that I was comfortable letting it go and it swam off strongly, but then turned around. I thouhgt it was going belly up, but (I know this may sound weird) the fish literally just gave me a look and swam back off, almost as if it was saying "thanks." A very cool & rewarding experience I must say, and made the most out of an otherwise unsuccessful outing. I took some pics but have never tried posting some before, so if someone would post brief instructions on how to do so I'd appreciate it (do I need a photo hosting site or can I upload from my hard drive). With the warmer weather I'll be out at all my local haunts in force, so I'll see you around. As always, good fishing.
Alex

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Thanks for the great post on the revival of that bass. As far as the pike go on the river, I'm curious what has worked for you?

Yes you need to have a photo hosting site such as photobucket, which happens to be free.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
kudos!!! fantastic report brother! seriously i was about to cry when you said that bass turned around and gave you a quick glance as if to say thanks. wow! those are some awesome pics too.

btw, it was cool meeting you at the "pond" the other day!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words gents. Occasionally I've seen pics like mine in magazines involving pike or musky, but never thought I'd be on "Fish E.R." or "Aquatic Grey's Anatomy" myself (actually, strike the Grey's Anatomy comment, I didn't sleep with the bass). The size of the fish was approx 20"+ & around 5 lbs.
As for the pike ?'s, yes I am talking the D.P. river. When I have more time I'll post more details on tactics as well some pics. Just so you know, these are not fluke pike I'm catching from the D.P. Since I began targeting them on the river about 6-7 years ago I've landed close to 100 pike, as well as numerous other species (12 or 13 at last count). The avg size of the pike is around 24-28", though I've landed at least a dozen or more over 30", including a 36" (approx 12 lbs) brute back in January, as well as a 33" on New Year's Eve after which landing I received a follow from his big 'bro that probably ran around 40"+. So many people I tell about the pike in the D.P. look at me in disbelief, but when I get home tonite I'll post the pics to prove it. All fish caught in the general Des Plaines vicinity (give or take 5 miles North or South). If I get out of work at a decent time today I may hit the river or Beck on the way home (I work in Volo but live in D.P. As always, good fishing.
Alex

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only pike I've caught in Illinois has been in the DP river. Large pipes that are part of the deep tunnel project near dams have some pike that sit and lurk (usually hard to access from shore) and small pools below dams 1&2 are where I've seen others catch pike. Most are hammer handles though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.