Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Late Report: Pewaukee Musky Outing 5/26

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ClancyWiggum 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Basically I consider myself a bass fisherman, but for the past 2 years or so I've occasionally played around with musky fishing at the prompting of my fishing buddies. With only 3 musky outings under my belt, I know enough to know that I know bupkis about it. So, for the past two outings we hired professional guides. The last time around we used a guide service I won't mention to fish the Fox Chain. I found the guides that time pretty worthless, and was really dissappointed. This is not just because we didn't get on any meaningful fish, but more because they seemed to be taking wild guesses, and not really teaching us anything. I asked lots of questions, and got lots of very unsatisfactory answers.

This time around we used "Johnny's Ultimate Musky Guide Service" (http://www.ultimatemuskyguide.com/index2.html) and fished Pewaukee Lake in Wisconsin. We found him at the Tinley Park show, and his picture book was very impressive. We hired him and hit up Pewaukee on the Tuesday after labor day. Weather conditions were far from optimal with a nasty cold front and rain coming in, but we made a go of it anyway. I must say, this was much more of what I expect from a guide. He had a plan, chose particular spots and explained why he chose them, chose particular baits and explained those too, and showed us a new trick or two (short-line trolling...very cool). He also managed to get me on my best musky of my short musky career...a 35 1/2" incher...I know this is no biggie in Musky circles, but I was pretty happy. The fish came on a bright orange bucktail with a single #8 gold blade. I don't recall the manufacturer.

We got some video after the catch, and I posted that here: http://63.115.252.20/Pewaukee/.

We had numerous follows from similar and bigger musky. We landed one other small one and a couple bass while short-line trolling, and surprisingly my brother landed a bunch of largemouth bass that seemed to love this huge perch-colored glider bait.

While I didn't land a 50+ incher, I must say I learned a great deal on the outing. I'd definitely use John again. We also had lots of laughs. It was a great time. I think we'll have to do that again.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm happy you kept trying and found a good guide and didn't get discouraged. Musky fishing is one of the most difficult of freshwater fishing, but if you keep at it , it is definitely one of the most rewarding. Because muskies can be so few and far between, when you tag one it is that much more rewarding. Great job!! Love to see musky reports!!!!!

#4 ·
Nice thing you got out man!, Pewaukee lake is truely awesome!!! I think Pewaukee, Lac Labelle or Okauchee hold the next state record musky for wisconsin. Nice Fish man!

#5 ·
I was out on Pewaukee late last year, but haven't gotten there yet this year. I might have to look up the guide you used. I am always looking to fish a new place with someone who knows the lay of the land (er, water). Nice fish. I have yet to catch the mighty musky, but I have a good feeling this is the year........if I can ever stop fishing for bass. :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.