Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new used rod off ebay Its a custom g loomis mb 784 glx :D titanium ring sic guides and nice blue and silver wraps :) I got a loomis 783 last week and I can feel every countour off the bottom of the lake. thats why I splurged on this one- it cost 170, It is flawed though- it has some other guys name on it 8)
Now I have to sell all my kistlers off cheap...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I`m kinda shocked u didnt buy them with broken tips :shock:

Good luck with ur new rods :)
Now if u change those shimano`s to Team Daiwas u`d be all set :lol:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just grew out of my broken tip phase :) Its a good intro to good rods if you cant afford them though. I just finally realized my mh rods were really heavy action due to the tips missing.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I believe the tips missing would just change the action not the power rating :)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The rod industry isn`t standardized ,1 companies H could be anothers MH.
Some rods also have a light tip with a heavy butt.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You buy what fits your needs for certian lures and presentations. That's how I do it. :D Glad to hear the new purchase. now I can buy that Mag off ya!!!! :lol: (Like I can use anymore rods though) :lol: I think its more of a habbit than anything. I love my toys and love my fishing and hunting gear. I might be selling my climber tree stand this fall and upgrading... 8)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But they are rated extra fast, I still think cutting the tip changes the power rating. Not the line rating but power, because that extra tip gives the fish leverage against you.
Edit- maybe glx is just special to have a soft tip and still enough power.

·
Registered
825 Posts
SV,
You're going to love the 783. It is an extremely versatile rod. I originally bought mine for worming but I now use it for topwater, mid-level cranks, spinnerbaits, and swim jigs. It's a great worming rod too but I prefer the 843.

You should talk to a custom rod builder and see if there is anything you can do about either getting the name removed or something placed over it.

And Culprit is dead-on about rod strengths. I think Loomis rods are a little light on their strengths especially when compared to Croix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.