Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first let me say I hate people. Not all people (WCF crew excluded of course!), just most of 'em. Now that may sound harsh, but I have to confess it is true. I just think we all suck donkey b*lls from time to time. why this rant?.....

My wife and I went out to Belvidere to visit her parents. I fished the Kishwaukee river with no luck. Out several times but nothin. Saw fish on the finder but I couldn't find em. So we headed over to the Mighty Rock River about noon today. BIG, BIG, BIG mistake!!! We knew we were in for a trying time as soon as we launched. A guy came and launched two jet skis and started doing circles in front of the boat launch. So, we start speeding upstream with our powerhouse 5hp motor on our private 12' yacht. Wouldn't ya know it, along come a waterskiing boatload of @#%. Can you spell 'no wake'? Cause I am sure they can't. Then another one, and another, and another. Not all in minutes but over the next 20-30 minutes and each time damn near flipping us out of our boat no matter how close to shore we tried to get. Now I realize that there is no 'no wake' zone on the river (or any river?) but we had no idea that people would be that self centered and reckless. But then again (see fourth sentence, first paragraph). So after praying a lot we get off the river and the h*ll out of there (thank God in one piece, well two actually). I am going to safely assume that the Fox River is the same way?! So I doubt we will head out there anytime at all. Besides, I'm not much for river fishing, what with the change in dynamics all the time plus the shallowness (of the water :lol: ), etc. Just ain't my cup-o-tea. Except maybe the Chicago River, but the smell (again, the water not the people)!!!!

So we go to Pierce Lake and again see tons (a whole bunch!) of fish on the fish sinder but couldn't find them with my trusty senkos or chatterbait or spinners. I do look forward to going back as there were definately a lot of fish there to catch, just very educated fish that would challenge the best of anglers I am sure as we saw at least 14 other boats out fishing and double that shore fishing! Plus, it is NO WAKE! So even the $50k bass boats have to take it easy. :D

So, I would recommend Rock Cut and Lake Pierce, even the Kishwaukee River (though not much!) but the Rock River? Maybe on a tuesday morning in November when Daredevil Dave is annoying everybody with his ATV and has his other compensatory phallus (i.e. JetSki) stored for winter.

Ahh, I feel better now :D Thanks for listening!!!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
sorry you had such a bad experience. good thing nobody was hurt or damage taken to property. yeah, there are some real buttheads out living among us. i too liked pierce lake. the no wake for the entire lake is really nice. it's funny cause the smaller boats with 10 hp motors can go full trottle and do circles around $50 ranger boys. there are lots of fish there and it's a pretty lake.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Being out on Deep Lake twice this past weekend, Augy and I experienced "wake rock" for hours after being off the water. All the recreation certainly is frustrating for anglers.

I've never seen any of that on the Fox River so I wouldn't worry about that. You were fishing during the busiest weekend of the summer in terms of water sports. If there were a WindyCityJetSkiing.com message board, they's probably be bitching about the fishermen. :lol:

River fishing is a lot of fun - don't give up on it because of some jerks.

By the way... i'm taking my 40hp bass boat on Lake Opeka this weekend to do some water-skiing. Don't get in my way. :lol:

Just kidding of course. 8)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know it was kinda asking for trouble given the weekend and all. I just needed to vent a bit. We did experience 'wake-rock' on Opeka on the 4th! The sailboats can kick up a pretty good wake! I'll be sure to 'accidentally' cast a rigged senko into your monster craft! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts