Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid Delavan fishermen. If anyone wants to trade tips, swap stories, ect., lets do it here. It is a heck of a fishery :D

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Have not had the opportunity to fish this body of water yet but would love to. Was that pike from Delavan?

G

·
Augie, yes it was. There are lots of pike in Delavan and it can be great fishing during different parts of the season. I started off in May trolling the weedline at about 8 feet.

Here are some caught trolling on opening weekend

As the water heats up, I like to throw buzzbaits early and fish suckers on the deep breaks during the day

Here is a buzzbait fish

And a sucker fish

We also will troll DT10's and DT16's during the summer. As the water cools down the fish disperse a but and we have to work much harder for them. I also like to bass fish and occasionally walleye fish there too.

Here is my nephew with a nice eye

And a nice early season bass taken on an X-Rap

And a late season bass taken on a sucker

Of course, I like the other people in the boat to catch some fish too!!!

Here is my buddy with his biggest pike ever

And another buddy with a decent pike

If you ever get a chance to make it up there, give it a try. It is a relativly easy lake to learn w/ big fish potential :wink:

Matt

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Topwater, this year is about done for me, but if want to make it out next year, let me know. If you have a boat you can tag along or come out in mine. I am already counting down the days to opening weekend '06 :p

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D The boat is a 1989 Astro Quickfire. Its 18.5' w/ a 115 Merc. I bought it last December. I had been looking for a boat for years and the price was right for this one. It needs some electrical work for the accesories as well as a few minor touchups. This Spring I put a Minkotta 70 lb. thrust with co-pilot on it, but I would like to upgrade one of the fishfinders and add rod holders to it too. It kind of has a retro look to it, doesn't it :p

As far as a Delavan report goes, my buddy was up last week and caught a 28'' muskie in the launch channel on a Grim Reaper Spinnerbait. The rest of the day only produced a few pike follows. Reports are that the lake is turning over, which explains the hit and miss reports I have been reading. The overall cosensus has been that the bass and pike have been responding to bigger baits. Get out there while you can.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Dude, if it floats and you can fish off it...it's a kick*** boat!!!! At least you can say you have one! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right Augy. I feel like I got my money out of it just from this year. After breaking my Non-Canada pike record over and over again at Delavan this year, I can say that it has been a blast. My plans were to fix a few things on it this winter, but I just bought a new house so that may have to be on hold. I will probably just winterize a few things and put the cover and tarp over it. Maybe next year :wink:

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts