Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a salmon rod recently. It was around 7' or 8' and it had a reel that held 217 yards of 8 lb test. Just of what you guys told me in that other topic.

I also got 10 lb monofilament test with the thickness of 8 lb test, #6 and 1/0 hooks, a few split-shot/egg sinkers, and a large slip bobber. I know I need a net but I just need to find a decent length for the handle. Thank you guys for your help on that.

I have just one problem, but one major problem. I got stren line cuz it's more cheap, but I do not think that it's good with stretch or abrasion resistant. I know that Lake Michigan has very rocky shores and bottoms. But is it that large of a factor if you know most of the time, you would be using spawn-sacks and alewives off the bottom? How bout if you use spoons?

And keep in mind, I will be fishing 2 major spots, Government Pier for coho's, smaller kings, pinks, whitefish and trout in March-December, and Highland park's beaches in the same time frame but only for rainbows and brown trout. Maybe Willmette's harbors once every few weeks.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
mangostenmaster said:
Remember wut Mellencamp sed in 1984... Hold on to 16 as long as you can.
Speaking of falling off a frozen pier, he also sang around that same year, "And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun." - Authority Song

·
Registered
386 Posts
I actually usually use braid for salmon, I mostly fish spoons and cranks and I like the feel on braid, I can feel the bite a bit better, and when I need to set the hook quick on a light salmon bump I like to be able to set quick with no stretch.

I personally don't think you NEED abrasion resistant line, if you're fishing from a pier I would say its certainly not necessary, if you're fishing off rocks it could be a problem if the fish runs into the rocks on landing.

All in all, just be sure the line is strong enough to hold the fish you're catching, I caught a 30 pound salmon last year in the river on my 12 lb. braid, it ran through a tree and I had to run to the side of the river and feed my pole through the branches, the line was running over a few sticks and pieces of wood... I'm really glad it held because its the heaviest fish I've ever caught. I'd rather spend 10 more dollars and land 10 more fish than save a few bucks when you've already spent hundreds on gear to catch fish...

If you're worried about braid being visible, use a florocarbon leader.

Good luck on the decisions!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
if you're slip rigging stuff of the bottom, don't even bother with light, cheap line. zebra mussels will weaken your line like mad. i've had jumbo perch pop off my line, and those are disappointing. could you imagine hooking into a monster trout and then seeing your line go pop due to a zebra mussel induced weak spot? go thicker. braid is always a good bet. some guys swear by flour leaders and line sensitive fish, and to some degree i believe is true. high light conditions i'd go with flouro leader, but mornings and evenings or low light days i go direct tie to snap then lure of choice.

two main advantages to braid is 1. you can cast further with a thinner diameter and 2. you can feel the fish strikes waaaaayyyyy better. mono or flouro line stretch. braid doesn't. it is stiff. you will feel the strikes clear as day, trust me

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Salmon go with braid w/ a flour leader 10-14#
trout flour line 4-6#

Hey Cam, I like to see a picture of this 30# king. Was it caught in LM east our west side of the big pond? 30# Kings dont come often or at all the last few years. Now, if it was 10 years ago I can see then.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cam said:
I actually usually use braid for salmon, I mostly fish spoons and cranks and I like the feel on braid, I can feel the bite a bit better, and when I need to set the hook quick on a light salmon bump I like to be able to set quick with no stretch.

I personally don't think you NEED abrasion resistant line, if you're fishing from a pier I would say its certainly not necessary, if you're fishing off rocks it could be a problem if the fish runs into the rocks on landing.

All in all, just be sure the line is strong enough to hold the fish you're catching, I caught a 30 pound salmon last year in the river on my 12 lb. braid, it ran through a tree and I had to run to the side of the river and feed my pole through the branches, the line was running over a few sticks and pieces of wood... I'm really glad it held because its the heaviest fish I've ever caught. I'd rather spend 10 more dollars and land 10 more fish than save a few bucks when you've already spent hundreds on gear to catch fish...

If you're worried about braid being visible, use a florocarbon leader.

Good luck on the decisions!
Wow this was really helpful. Thanks. I'm sure the line I am using could hold a few fights with a few smaller Coho's and a lot of Browns and Rainbows? How large are browns and Rainbows off of Highland Park or willmete? I heard that Coho's are pretty small to around 1-3 lbs all around the southern part of the lake, so I guess that browns and rainbows are on the same pattern.

Do you need a net if you are fishing off gov pier? How long should the handle be?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
spring coho are smaller from shore. you're right about 1-3 lbs or so. nothing real big

browns can be anywhere from 2 - 20 lbs. same with steelhead, although most will be in the 4-7 range.

buy a telescoping net and you'll be set for all harbors around here. try to get it to extend to 8 feet or so

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.