Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a spot with a lot of structure that holds fish in the summer. Sadly I got the skunk! I threw spinners, rattle traps, husky jerks, x-raps and jigs: nothing!

I have a question about X -raps. The one I was using has a swimming depth of 3-5 feet. The problem is that I was trying to work the lure slow and whenever I stopped reeling the damn thing would start to float on the surface. Aren't they suppose to suspend?

I noticed they made xraps with deeper swimming ranges. I was just worried that I would get those snagged at some of the shallow bodies of water I like to fish. What type do you guys like to use?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Maybe its broken or misslabeled. My 3-5 ft xraps suspendds perfectly, evenin less than 3 ft, but its hard to keep it that shallow because it wants to dive to 3-5. I gues I have the opposite problem you do!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
X-raps are really a slash bait, or a modified jerk bait in my opinion. The best way to work them is to crank them down to depth with a few turns of you reel once they hit the water. Then use a jerk, jerk, pause. They should definitely suspend on the pause. You will want to vary your pauses and jerks until you figure out what the fish want. This time of year, the pause should be longer. When the water warms up, the pause should be faster.

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you more. LOL

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My experience is that the xrap will eventually make its way to the surface. All my xraps do, if I pause them long enuff and I have about 8. Slow is good for cold fronts and fish in a negative mood. I just have a problem working it slow, cuz I am impatient. I have had most, if not all of my hits on the pause.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I think that I was waiting too long between the jerks. I was jerking the bait twice and then counting to 20 before I moved it again. I was also using the smallest type which is 3 1/8" long and 1/4 oz. I didn't seem to have the same problem when I threw the larger 4 3/4" long 3/4 oz one at beck a few weeks back.

All in all I really like how the Xraps work. I'm planning on purchasing one with a deeper swimming depth for Door County and Geneva.

What is everyone's favorite colors? I have been using the perch and rainbow trout colored ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I love them all. But the one that really catch my eye is Perch and Goby. I stumbled upon the Goby bought one of them. Can't find them anymore should have bought all they had. I believe I have every color and two of some. It nice to have a back up on a color incase you get bit off. I fish with someone that had three or four bit off with in a 1/2 hour. I'm sure he will be on here soon to tell you about it. He loves the x-raps.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Most of the colors are good. I like the silver/green/gold colors and then something brighter for murky water like the clown. The only place that I ever saw the goby ones was in Dick's. It seems like it would be a good one for LM, but unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Yami Master said:
I love them all. But the one that really catch my eye is Perch and Goby. I stumbled upon the Goby bought one of them. Can't find them anymore should have bought all they had. I believe I have every color and two of some. It nice to have a back up on a color incase you get bit off. I fish with someone that had three or four bit off with in a 1/2 hour. I'm sure he will be on here soon to tell you about it. He loves the x-raps.
Man, I love the X-Rap, and yes I get bit off quite a bit. After a sharp snap, the bait often will turns sideways. This gives the toothy critters a good angle to hit it head first and cut through the line.

I like to work the bait violently, but at these water temps a longer pause is crucial. The other day I caught around 20 small bass at a public pond in Aurora on a small clown xrap. 90% of them hit it after about a 2 second pause or directly after a twitch. The funny thing was, my buddy was using small plastics and only caught a couple. They were keyed in on the minnow baits.

I gotta run, but I will comment a little more later.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
all my xraps have always floated just a hair. i think the slight float is what causes the slow rolling effect of the xrap that makes it so effective on the pause.

i agree, most hits come on the pause. you don't want to work it too slow cause it defeats the purpose of the slashbait. shorter twitches and pausing more often is how i like to work it "slow".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.