Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried my hand at the same local lake I was at the day before, this time with the boat. It is a trolling motor only lake w/ no pier at the launch so I had to get wet putting the boat in and taking it out. Not too bad though when the temps are approaching 80 :wink: Water temps at the launch were 54 and made it all the way to 63 in the far NW corner which was being pounded by the wind. Ended up with 5 bass. 3 on chatters, and 2 on traps. Not much size to speak of. I did have a really nice fish on that shook its head at the boat and threw the hook. That one was disheartening but I made the mistake of keeping the rod tip high with the wind pushing the boat away from the fish. I lost another hawg as Shabbona last Spring for making the same mistake :oops: I guess a net would of helped too :roll: Oh well, still fun to get out. I have one pic to post when I get a chance to upload. The main reason I wanted to put a post up was to illustrate the difference in water temps and how important it is to follow the wind on days like yesterday. I did not get bit anywhere with the water temp under 60 8)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Great post Matt, bass in the early spring will always look for the warmest water. Usually shallow during the day when the sun is high. Also, rock bars are very lucrative as they conduct heat.

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I used my regular boat yesterday. The only reason I never fished it before was because I did not think I was allowed to launch with a motor on the boat. That was cleared up by the local CPO.

About the average size

Had about 20 minutes to a fish a pond tonight. Maybe I should stick to the shore :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.