Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a long stretch of river, dude, and you didn't clarify whether you want bullheads, channels, flathead, or garfield-type cats.

The fish are in the river. I don't know all of it, but there's reasonably good access all along the river. North, around Algonquin, is the deeper area, and there should be some reasonably good flathead fishing up there. Channel Cats are all through the river, and they're there to be caught. I fish at Slade Ave. in Elgin regularly, and there's a boat launch at Voyageur's landing with some shorefishing opportunities. If you take Duncan down until you get right in under the interstate, there's a park there. No boat launch, but regular shorefishing.

I'd really advise you to go down to Wal-mart and spend 20 bucks on a northern IL fishing guide, which can be found in their sporting goods area, between fishing and camping gear. It isn't dirt cheap, but it provides A LOT of good information on all waters up here. As for boat launches, it gives you the location of every one, whether or not there's shore fishing, whether the launches are free, how many of them there are, camping, bait stores, etc...That's worth knowing if you're serious about getting out, and you'll be using it for years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
try a stab at the waters just above the dam in algonquin.theres a nice park there and no one bothers you if you wanna fish all night! watch out for me,i am usually there late nights,look for the yellow coat.lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.