Chicago Fishing Forum banner

looking for baitcaster

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Spawn 
#1 ·
ok I am going to cave in and try the baitcaster. I was looking for a baitcasting rig for sale. Nothing too expensive since it is my first one. Anyone got one they are looking to get rid of? I am right handed but I have heard good arguments for right and left so I am open to suggestion. Thanks.

#2 ·
for a first baitcaster try hittin walmart. they have some nice stuff that is fairly well priced. I paid $120 total for my abu garcia ambassadeur 2005 rod and reel. I think it was $70 for the reel and like $50 for a casting rod. (didn't buy the rod at walmart, though.) This is also one of the more expensive reels they sell...within the store at least. You can pickup some nice $100+ reels online. You can pickup a decent first baitcaster from there for as little as $40 or $50 for the reel. I wouldn't go cheap, though, as IMO it might cause you more problems than wanted, and you'd much rather have a nice reel that will function easily and keeps you hooked than buy a cheapie that breaks easily or has problems or isn't as easy to use (less bearings, gear ratio, etc.) and immediately turns you off of baitcasters. When mastered there's no comparison between them and spinning setups as you have a lot of power and backbone behind casts giving you much more distance and extremely improved accuracy.

#3 ·
you can get entry level combos at bps and dick's from $50 - $100. combo's usually only come in right hand retrieve models however. if you want a lefty, you have to buy separate components.

i'd go to a local shop and try both retrieves. it would suck to buy a rig only to find out you prefer the other retrieve.

i'm sure there are a few guys that have something for sale.

#6 ·
if he buys a cheapie he'll need to work at it cus they're not as easy to handle with lower gear ratios and older braking systems, and less ball bearings. i got my ambassadeur 2005 low profile from there and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. very smooth casting, no issues, great reel.

#8 ·
i just bought a shimano from meier for $35 and a berkley rod from k-mart for 3.50 (it must have been mismarked or severly discounted) and surprisingly the rod is pretty ok. so far the reel seems fine. i wasn't gonna go plunk down $???.?? for a reel I wasn't convinced was gonna work out. i think the basic mechanics of using a baitcaster are gonna be the same. yeah a nicer reel will be easier to handle, but if you're not comfortable with the basic set-up why spend a hundred on a paper weight or at best a reel you only use to troll or live bait? go cheap now, if you fall in love with that style then invest in quality. jm2c

p.s. had a miserable time tonight with the baitcaster! yesterday with high winds no probs, today in calm skies nothing but problems! :? :roll: we shall see...

#9 ·
I think that a cheaper Quantum reel might be a great first baitcaster. Mainly because they have a really easy and efficient braking / magnetic system. I think that Dick's had one on sale from 100 to 50 bucks or so. Also, there are plenty of cheaper Quantum combos of $50 and less at bps or Dick's.

#10 ·
I am looking around because I really don't want to plunk down a bunch of money on this experiment. On the other hand I am looking for one that I don't have to work twice as hard to use. Is is tricky i guess. The only thing I worry about is the last time I tried one of these was about 10 years ago and couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would use one of these. But I guess they have gotten better. I hope to use it to throw bigger baits, the 3500 series spinning reel on the 7' ugly stick (my favorite for large crank baits) is alot of work after a while.

#12 ·
Once you get the feel of the bait caster you will love it. Word to the wise "Start out with a bit heaver lure" this will save you much frustration.

Jigs, Spinner baits , even a 5" senko is a good bait to start with :wink:

Start slow, don't over do it ..it's all in the wrists :lol:

Once your you "have it" ..your can Wip it , flip it , pitch it...it's well worth the time to learn how to use one

#14 ·
Hey, does anyone know a site with good illustrations for cleaning and oiling both baitcasters and spinning reels.
I got a couple spinning reels that are shreiking like banshees! Plus I dropped my cheap baitcaster in the water a while back :oops: (it was on como though, so i got it back :lol: )
Also, is the oil that same as sewing machine/electric clipper oil? It should probably be a synthetic so it doesnt gunk up the gears, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.