Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've seen very nice fish come out of there, but never had much luck myself. Didn't put enough effort into fishing it, to give it a fair review.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Fished it a bunch. It's 5 mins from my house. Solid panfish size/population, good bass size/population, and great walleye size and population. There are also smallies in there from a channel that used to run between the lake and the Duper. Only caught one about 15 inches, but have seen many caught, and even a few in the 2-4lb range. Some big kitties too. Tough lake to fish on a windy day, so keep an eye on that. The wind has a tendency to blow all the way across the lake, and it can get ripping there. Especially if you're gonna be in a kayak. We hosted my son's first birthday party there at the pavilion on a REALLY windy day this past May, and Naperville/Bolingbrook FD/Police had to come rescue some dumbasses that thought it would be a good idea to go kayaking(paddle, not pedal drive) when the wind was gusting up to 40mph, with a steady 20mph+ at all times. They had to get the FD to launch the zodiac with it's 25hp motor to go rescue the kayakers. It's definitely worth the trip, IMO. Be aware, it's a shallow/loooooooong ramp, so keep that in mind if you're going to launch a boat 16ft or more. You'll likely need to get wet up to your knees. I always do. They also shut down the launch around early October, and it typically opens back up in early April.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
joetrain said:
Welcome back SNE. Good to see you haven't abandoned us.

~JOE~
Nah, wouldn't abandon this place. Summer time there's just so much going on, so I don't get around to posting a ton, and this summer has been especially busy/difficult. A one year old son keeping me busy, among other things. I lurk, but don't post as much during the summer months. Thanks man.

My Dad has been sick for the past year, and passed away on July 10th. Just had his memorial celebration this past Saturday. Lost one of the good ones, and my partner in the boat more often than not. The reason I have such an obsession with fishing is gone. It just sucks. Been hard to get motivated to fish when your lifelong fishing partner has essentially been laid up in bed since the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Nick: So sorry to hear about your dad. Try to stay positive - I'm sure he'd want you to be getting out there.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Rambler said:
Nick: So sorry to hear about your dad. Try to stay positive - I'm sure he'd want you to be getting out there.
Thanks Rambler. Yeah, I'll be out. Just not worth my time right now to drag the boat out and launch it, just to fish for 3-4 hours because it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity by 10am. Fucking Chicago summers.

Waiting on the temps to settle down. Looks like after this week we're gonna have a week of gorgeous weather in the high 70's and low 80's. I'm down with that.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
We just got back from our annual family trip to Michigan. The weather on the other side of the lake was glorious.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Fished it a bunch. It's 5 mins from my house. Solid panfish size/population, good bass size/population, and great walleye size and population. There are also smallies in there from a channel that used to run between the lake and the Duper. Only caught one about 15 inches, but have seen many caught, and even a few in the 2-4lb range. Some big kitties too. Tough lake to fish on a windy day, so keep an eye on that. The wind has a tendency to blow all the way across the lake, and it can get ripping there. Especially if you're gonna be in a kayak. We hosted my son's first birthday party there at the pavilion on a REALLY windy day this past May, and Naperville/Bolingbrook FD/Police had to come rescue some dumbasses that thought it would be a good idea to go kayaking(paddle, not pedal drive) when the wind was gusting up to 40mph, with a steady 20mph+ at all times. They had to get the FD to launch the zodiac with it's 25hp motor to go rescue the kayakers. It's definitely worth the trip, IMO. Be aware, it's a shallow/loooooooong ramp, so keep that in mind if you're going to launch a boat 16ft or more. You'll likely need to get wet up to your knees. I always do. They also shut down the launch around early October, and it typically opens back up in early April.
. Wow … that was major rescue for sure. A lot of great info here thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Spincastguy said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
No problem. Just realized I didn't provide much in the way of fishing info... lol.

The weedlines that usually grow around the shoreline are great for bass, and there's some ledges/dropoffs around the islands that also have weeds during the summer. Rock pile in the back behind the islands in 10-15 foot of water seems to always hold a couple crappie, also. Focusing on any of the weedlines will provide some solid bass and the occasional walleye. I've caught em on senkos, t-rig creatures, squarebills, and chatters. This info is all from prior to this year, just so you're aware. With everything going on, I just haven't been able to get out there this year. Hoping to get a couple outings in towards the beginning of fall before they close the ramps.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Spincastguy said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
No problem. Just realized I didn't provide much in the way of fishing info... lol.

The weedlines that usually grow around the shoreline are great for bass, and there's some ledges/dropoffs around the islands that also have weeds during the summer. Rock pile in the back behind the islands in 10-15 foot of water seems to always hold a couple crappie, also. Focusing on any of the weedlines will provide some solid bass and the occasional walleye. I've caught em on senkos, t-rig creatures, squarebills, and chatters. This info is all from prior to this year, just so you're aware. With everything going on, I just haven't been able to get out there this year. Hoping to get a couple outings in towards the beginning of fall before they close the ramps.
Thanks for great info and tips as I use all those you stated . I will try those baits when I go .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts