Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been promising my cousin for awhile now that I would take him out one of these mornings. He decided it was time for me to pay up today and we hit the river at 6A in hopes of some walleyes. We picked up a fair amount of bites early with only rough fish landed. It did not take long to figure out the eyes were going to be a tough bite. I felt bad so I made it up to him by taking him to one of my favorite topwater ponds. Even though it was about 90 degrees, we still managed about 30 fish over the course of a few hours on buzzbaits

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yep looks like you definately salvaged the day....nice fish, surprising numbers for a sweltering day. BTW that is a slab of a crappie in your avatar. I just realized that....sweet.

JB

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went back out Sunday evening right before dark and only managed 2 fish. Had a good amount of fish shake off or just nip at the bait. I tried again last night which probably was not too bright :p Continous lightning strikes the whole time I was out, but none were close enough to get me too worried. Coyote had done well on a chatterbait earlier in the day so after a few fruitless casts with the buzzbait, I decided to try it. Once around the pond netted 18 bass with many more short bites and shake-offs. No pictures as it was drizzling and I did not want to get the camera wet. The thing that I find most enjoyable about that bait is it is relativly weedless. When I would happen to get a weed, a quick rip of the rod would almost always shake it loose. Great bait :D

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly don't have the slightest clue Augy. 250 might be a good ballpark number. Some of those ponds really skew the numbers. I have had 4 or 5 outings with around 20+ fish this year from them. I really need to start keeping overall tallies.
Yami and I set a goal for our upcoming vacation of 200 bass, 10 pike and 2 walleye. I will be up there 2 weeks and Yami for a week and a half. Normally, I would say it is manageable, but we have to balance the fishing and family thing so it should be a good challenge for us. We are also going to try to shoot some video. Don't laugh too hard because I'm sure we will both come across as dorks :p

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yami Master said:
Nice job Matt and Raff. Can't wait till our trip up North, we have our work cut out for us and the lake has been good to us ver the years. I believe we can get our goal.
I'm hoping to have about 50 by the time I see you Wednesday night :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went out for the 4th day in a row after the t-storm rolled through. I fished half the lake without a bite wondering if they had totally shut down. Thankfully they started picking up and hitting the chatterbait with some regularity. No monsters but some decent fish.

Best part of the evening was the sunset

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bassman For Life said:
to bad u don't fish the turnnys I know u would be Bassmaster Or should I say Windy City Bassmaster....LOL
HaHa. I tried and I was humbled. Plenty of great fishermen on WCF. I'm looking forward to getting out for some more though. I wish I could make the next one. but I will be up North on vacation. I'll be back out donating my money for the next event though :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would like to pair up with you Matt if we fish Deep I have been fishing that lake for 15 Years. It would be intresting to see us as a team....LOL or maybe I should let my son fish with u :D

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bassman For Life said:
I would like to pair up with you Matt if we fish Deep I have been fishing that lake for 15 Years. It would be intresting to see us as a team....LOL or maybe I should let my son fish with u :D
You live right down the road from me, so it would sense that we commute together to the next one. Your son is a great stick, but I think I'll stick with you :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.