Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lunchtime Fishing Forecast:

Nice rains last night will add flow locally to the lakes.
One of my favorite spots is the inlets to these lakes.

Water will be flowing in bringing nutrients and forage…

I like to fish the edges of the flow, and the pan at the end.

Depending on water turbidity I'll either use a spinnerbait or a gulp worm.

The gulp worm is an awesome bait rigged wacky or drop shot for deeper water.

Work the inlet edges slow in/out of the flow.

If bass are there they are waiting for lunch as it flows past.
The gulp helps with the scent to draw fish in.

If its not to stormy I'll hit the lakes today and tomorrow at lunchtime.

Any other tips for this recent weather??

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
My biggest thing this time of the year is to fish into the wind. Bays or flats will draw in warm water and create a feeding opportunity. If you get into this pattern like myself you will start planning your fishing destinations based on the wind direction. Sounds silly, but in March and April is the often the difference b/w a good outing or a skunk. I'm sure some of the FP's you fish have those types of areas. Just wait until you get the right wind to pound into it, downsize your presentation so they can't resist, and make sure your drag is set light :wink:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I like to look for the shallowest part of the water that gets the most sunlight during the day and start from there until water temps are in the 48-50 range. This time of year a lot is dictated towards water temps and frontal systems. Like Rollcast said in different words anywhere you can find run off entering the main body of water will increase temps and nutrients and bring in the forage. Anytime we get a warm up period I like to plan to go fishing right before the next cold front comes through. The fish know what's coming and this early in the year I think it's key for them to take advantage of the easier feeding conditions. Timing has a lot to do with catching big fish real early IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.