Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out with the wife for a while tonight. We were just playing around, fishing for bluegills, when our bobbers kept getting attacked. She thought it could be a pike, so I threw on a spinner and on my first cast out, came up with this beauty.

After a few more casts, pulled in a small bass with the same lure.

Good times.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
That had to be fun on the little spinning outfit! Good job.
I wish it was more fun. As exciting as it was, being my first pike and all, I wish he was a little further out, and maybe had a little more fight in him.

Caught him only about 20 feet out, and if anyone has read my past posts, I generally keep my drag super-low. It didn't even try to run, just reeled it right in.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Congrats on your first. I have had pike not fight until they see the boat. I think they dont always realize they are hooked. Dont worry they fight and they fight pretty hard when they do.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JB said:
I hear about the illusive pike at mallard...good to see results supporting that!

Nice!
The pike bite is on at Mallard. That's for sure. I have been out 3 days this week, and gotten 4 pikes. I'm definitely going to bring my camera tomorrow. They have all been between 17 and 24 inches.

And yes, I have discovered that they do fight, and fight hard. Or maybe it's just that I'm using a little kayak, and they are able to pull me. Either way, it's great fun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Smaller pike will seem a lot less agressive, I think it depends on how they get hooked. I think it is a lot easier for a 'normal' size lure to hook them in the bottom of their mouth and get hooked on a part of their gills, which in my experience makes them almost go limp. but if they get hooked not in the gill they will fight like the big boys. check out where you hook em next time, that may be the reason they don't fight. Also, if they hit it from the side it may make a spinner roll intheir mouth, and also hook em on the bottom, then when you reel em in at that small size they will get turned upside down. just a thought...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've caught a total of 4 at Mallard. 2 using an inline spinner, and 2 using a regular spinner bait. They have all been hooked on the lower part of their mouths.
The one I caught this morning seemed to have the most fight in him, I was fishing around a corner, of course, and that's the way he took off. He tried to pull me through the cattails and that's they only reason I was able to get him in so quickly. He had a few runs, but nothing serious. He wasn't able to pull me after the initial 5-10 feet. The last few feet of me reeling in, when he finally surfaced, he was upside down. Had me kind of scared, until I pulled him out of the water. That made him come to life. :twisted:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Topwater said:
Smaller pike will seem a lot less agressive.
If based on the behaviour of Pike, it's the exact opposite. But for the fight, I won't argue...

The young ones will bite and attack anything in sight with reckless abandon. What separates the young "snake" pike from the large "gators" is the tolerance they have in water temps which dictates their aggressiveness.

Young Pike will be abundant in shallow water with higher water temps. The large are more of a cold-water fish than anything, and they will often be in deeper, cooler water, thus making them less-aggressive, possibly calling for a different and maybe less aggressive approach in catching.

I just wanted to throw that piece of info out there...

:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know it's a cruise from Park Ridge, but the bite @ Mallard Lake has been hot for pike. 6 in a week. Ranging from 16-24". :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup. Last September they stocked them, all between 10-12" according to the DNR guy I spoke with there a few weeks ago. I managed to catch 1 earlier this week. 16", under some trees, on a 3" Senko. :) :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.