Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hour to kill yesterday afternoon before an appointment so I parked at Mallard Lake. Even though I was wearing my Sunday best. I took out the fly rod and headed to one of the wooden fishing piers. After catching 20- 30 micro bluegills, I managed to get a bird's nest on my reel. Don't ask how! Anyway, as I was making things right, I hooked another small 'gill. I let it swim around as I cursed at my reel. Then all of a sudden a large (guessing 18 -24inch) maybe a pike or one of those urban legend muskies grabbed the bluegill that was on my line. The whole scenario lasted less than a second but the memory of it keeps playing in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
That is a fun encounter and (although unintentionally) a very underrated bait. In lots of places with big bass or musky/pike that is there primary summer forage. I figured out alot of those monster FP bass that seem like the Albert Einsteins of fish are completely different animals when a good size gill is plopped in front of them. As long as it is legal where you fish, great option for a FP giant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts