Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing today at Deep Lake from 2 PM to 6 PM.

Caught one fish, but I won't tell you how big or how small (it wasn't impressive).

But I can tell you there were only 2 boats on Deep Lake this beautiful Saturday afternoon.

I trolled the eastern weedline, nothing.
I fan casted the SE corner by the apartment complex with a Rattletrap, nothing.
I drifted from the NW corner by the bullrushes a couple hundred yards due east, so I was 25 yards from the northern shore at all times, fan casting a rattletrap, nothing.

Met a Dad and his young daughter as he worked a spinnerbait drifting north along the western shore. This is the area most of us never fish in Summer because it's a weed mess. But today, not so bad. The dad said he saw several huge bass swimming in the shallows but couldn't get them to bite. Lord knows he kept trying with that spinnerbait. He said he hadn't caught anything that afternoon.

I later tried drifting the same western shore about 4 PM working a spinnerbait for bass/pike and throwing my panfish rig deeper in hopes of nibbles. Nothing. I did catch one fish along that western shore but it wasn't a bass.

Motored over to the "boot" of Deep Lake (look at the map) and worked the "shoelaces" and toe of the boot for a while with the Rattletrap and also the panfish rig. Found the creek once again. Wonder if the fishing is every good by that inlet. But still no fish.

Fished the SW beach, nothing.

Fished the SE flats by the apartment complex again with the Rattletrap hoping for a hit, knowing the flats had been warmed as much as possible with a bright sun. Nothing.

Trolled into Jack's along the eastern shore, no hits.

I did speak with Jack at the resort and he said a few fisherman had been out this week but he had no reports, no fish stories. Jack and some customers were predicting the crappie would be close to shore in 2 weeks. We'll see.

Now, I wish I had told you I found lots of fish and did great. But I didn't. But at least you know what areas I worked, how I worked them, and the rumors of fish at Deep Lake.

Alright guys, it's your turn. Whoever starts catching fish at Deep Lake when it warms up, let us all know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about that but from the sounds of it at least you got to go on a nice boat trip....\ :wink: If it makes you feel better, that happened to me twice at Busse last year. We rented boats threw spinners, cranks, trolled, jigged, used live bait, did everything short of kissing the fish's behinds, all for a couple nibbles from dink bluegills. Oh well, at least we got to enjoy the scenery and the lake on beautiful day. :p

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Rich, I was out about 2 weeks ago on a warmer day and did OK in shallow water. I was fishin slow on the north end and caught two lost five. I lost a real big fish too that buried me... If we get another warm up for a few days I'll probably go back out there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i don't really care if you don't believe me... :wink: No ice, maybe some slush after tonight though... water temps when I was out there were close to 50 in some spots, but an average of 45.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Champ, do you already have a key for the launch there or do you rent a boat? Sent you a pm a couple weeks back about obtaining the Deep key but haven't heard from you... The village told me that Sand and Miltmore are all the non resident's keys get access to... Can you drop me a line when you get a chance? Want to get out there soon but in my boat... Thanks... - BPM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.