Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really a surprise to me. I see it often driving McCormick road and always figured at most it would be home to carp and bullheads.
Channels, bullheads, carp, suckers, goldfish, bass, tons of panfish, perch, walleye, crappie, white perch/bass, gar, pike, the occasional bowfin, salmonids when in season, the list goes on my friend. Get out there!

There are a lot of micros too if you’re into that. Shiners of all types, killifish, etc. I even know of a kid who has caught a Loach from it too, and have also seen a big head carp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very Cool. I knew the river was chock full of fish but walleye? Nice. NSC is cleaner than it's been in over a hundred years.
Yeah it really is. I went back to do the same thing and caught another big one, slightly smaller at around 24in, and also caught a 22 incher. Switched to a large jerkbait and immediately caught a 7lb channel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting, how can you be sure? I always assumed that the Channel is pretty much the river version of Lake Michigan, not including burbot, lakers and maybe a couple other deep water species.
The Channel has sluice gates into Lake Michigan always open at Wilmette and Downtown, but a fish could also go over the dam at Willow down the North Branch into the Channel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Channel has sluice gates into Lake Michigan always open at Wilmette and Downtown, but a fish could also go over the dam at Willow down the North Branch into the Channel.
Wherever they’re from, there must be an established population because I’ve caught 7 from the same spot in the span of a few days.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Awesome that you caught so many!

I rode over the NSC on Metra today and it had a strange fake blue color to it away from shore. Is that how it usually looks? Hard to believe walleye are in there, must be cleaner than I assumed it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I rode over the NSC on Metra today and it had a strange fake blue color to it away from shore. Is that how it usually looks? Hard to believe walleye are in there, must be cleaner than I assumed it is.
Where approximately did you ride over it? It often has that weird turquoise color to it in the stretch from the spillway off Sheridan rd to just past a train bridge in between Oakton and W Howard.

After that, you hit a discharge where it turns a greenish brown color, and then the next several miles downstream become 100x more productive than that upper stretch. In the green water you will find the walleye, never caught one in the turquoise.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Interesting, how can you be sure? I always assumed that the Channel is pretty much the river version of Lake Michigan, not including burbot, lakers and maybe a couple other deep water species.
Just an observation. Quite a few are caught under the spillway at the goons. So they definitely exit the goons in big numbers. And over the years I've seen a good number of reports of walleye caught at river park where the north branch spills into the channel. And there are just so very few reports of them being caught on the Chicago lakefront. Most are being pulled from the river.

·
Registered
357 Posts

It often has an odd green color when I go over it from McCormack Blvd as well. Probably algae I suppose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems reasonable enough to me. They’re doing pretty well in there, probably gorging themselves on shad and goby constantly. I don’t think I landed one under 18in

edit: Sorry, I forgot to quote Aux Pleins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts