Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I think too much about fishing. But there's fun in the plan, the actual event, and then learning from the day. Here's what I hope I learned at Deep Lake on May 24, 2008.

Motor - Not having a well maintained battery and/or motor severely limited my mobility at Deep Lake. Can't do that again.

Map - I depended on Jack having extra maps at his resort. That's not Jack's responsibility, that was mine. I should have a plastic coated map, ready to go.

Video - I videotaped John as he lost his biggest fish ever. I immediately changed the rule. Catch the fish first, then do video. Sometimes the lessons are hard.

4 pound test - I rigged a Vibrax® Minnow Spin on 4 pound test for John. What was I fishing for, panfish? A 6, 8, or 10 pound line would have given John a chance at catching his huge fish. Again, the lessons are hard sometimes.

Weedline - At about 5:30 PM fishing the weedline we were getting some action. But now, sitting in my office I realize I could have buoyed that inside weedline and found the outside part of the weedline in deeper water. I'll never know what was lurking at the deep weedline. Next time. Catch fish at a weedline? Fish inside and outside of the weedline.

Inactive Fish - I caught fish at the inside weedline on a 1/32 Cubby Mini Mite lure. I never tried a crankbait or inline spinner or anything along that inside weedline. Just the Cubby Mini Mite. Were there any active fish there that I could have caught differently?

Years ago I played tennis as a teenager. I was normally better than my opponents and beat them. I won, but never got better.

Becoming a better fisherman means fishing with people better than yourself. I hope to fish with some of the WindyCity fishermen this summer.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over this. From your post it looks like you did really well there. I did wonder about the 4lb test for bass fishing though. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than 8lb there due to the weeds and the size of fish that Deep has in it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I tried 4lb once on a spinning rig. Now the lowest i go is 6lb if bass and pike are in the equation.

Then I had the great idea to try 2lb on my icefishing setup. :roll: I lost the only lmb I had on all winter right at the hole. Now I use 4 or 6lb on the ice too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.