Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with Dropdahammer today and I was thinking of adding info on an area thats pretty hidden.

Maybe we add an area for specific info on maps & directions for different lakes to try.

below is about Mazonia:

Mazonia State Fish and Wildlife Area consists of 1,017 acres and is located in Grundy County 3 miles southeast of Braidwood on Illinois Route 53 and Huston Road.
Existing Resources
The area contains more than 200 water impoundments ranging from 3/4 acre to 30 acres. The water area currently contains largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, green sunfish, crappie, channel catfish and bullhead. Additional species will be stocked as the site is developed. Good wildlife habitat can be found on the site in the 700 acres of grassland, brushy draws and limited woodland cover.

I-55 South to exit # 233 (17 miles south of I-80).
Get off I-55 and at the stop sign turn left and go over I-55.
Immediately on your right is Kankakee St.
Turn right.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Brace ... 5814:0::/e

Pass over Rt 53, turn right for the Mazonia North Unit.
Keep going straight for the South Unit (Monster & Ponderosa).

(2) miles up turn left on "5000 North Rd."
Ahead ½ mile on thr Rt. is the entrance to Monster, then ¼ mile up is the entrance to Ponderosa lake. Both have decent boat ramps.

The North Unit has a number of lakes with boat ramps.
All lakes are no-wake so outboard motors can be used.

Lake maps:
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PA ... %20Map.jpg

Lake info:
http://www.ifishillinois.org/profiles/l ... t%2007.doc

http://www.ifishillinois.org/profiles/lakes/mazonia.htm

There are also a number of lakes listed in the Sportsman guide Map book.

Mazonia South Unit
The Mazonia South Unit was purchased by DNR from Commonwealth Edison in 1999. This was the first acquisition under the landmark Open Land Trust, a program that sets aside dollars to be used to purchase acreage for multiple purpose recreation and to protect open space for future generations.
The land making up the south unit was formerly surface mined, resulting in rugged terrain, four large lakes and 10 smaller water impoundments that contain excellent fish populations. Access to most of the water will be available via boat launches, (Monster and Ponderosa) while some of the smaller lakes will be walk-in only. The area will be used for fishing, wildlife habitat, hunting and other recreational activities.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Looks like a nice place. Must be a pretty good variety of habitats with all the different lakes. A little far for me at 1.5 hours, but might be worth a trip this fall. I like that it has a gas motors/ no wake policy on some of the lakes. My little 5hp needs some action :) . Does it get really busy on weekends?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We hit Monster this past Sunday and there were 2 boats out there.

The most we've seen at one time is 3-5 at Ponderosa,
many times we're the only one!

The North unit by the check in station has a number of lakes right off the road with ramps.

:D

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Depending on the lake you hit the fish species differs. That is one of the things that draws people to Mazonia in general. Given the winter season that is coming too soon...I know of a couple lakes that tend to hold some slab crappie. The only challenge...and it's a big one....is that you are willing to trek to the farthest part of the spring fed lakes. The payoff can be dynamite....the consequences can be fatal. :shock:

Last year a buddy of mine called me from down on the back end of one of the lakes saying he was getting some nice crappies..up to 14". I drove on down of course and with in 30 ft of the launch I heard and saw some serious fractures in the ice. He was still several hundred yards away. Although I am willing to chase the fish where ever they call home....this was a bit much and I high tailed it home. He did live to tell about it tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.