Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home last night from my Merriam turkey hunt out in NE Nebraska; took me 12 hours to get there with all the road work from Chicago on I-80. The funny thing is I was done with my hunt the following morning at 7:30AM!
We got to our blind at 4:45 beneath some trees where we saw ~40 or so turkeys roosting in the trees not more than 25yrds away. We got an initial shock gobble at around 5:15AM when a bobcat got hold of something.
The first bird (a hen flew down) at around 5:50 followed by other hens and jakes. One tom landed but I passed on him until another landed only 18yrds from the blind. I knocked him down and had my first bird by 6:30 in the morning.
My second tag was for a shotgun tag but it was as if not more exciting as the first. We spotted some turkeys in the middle of an alfalfa field and I told the guide I wanted to try to stalk them. I proceeded to jump in the neighboring woods and then belly crawled approximately 250yrds through the alfalfa. Along the way I came within 5 yrds of a nesting hen who didn't know what to think of me. I began to soft call as I slowly crept further forward. I managed to spur the interest of one of the hens in the field who came to within 10 yrds. Trailing behind was a nice tom which came a bit too close resulting in my second bird down by 7:30.
All in all an exciting trip, funny that it took waaay longer to drive there than to hunt but all good none the less. So I am now 3/4 of the way through with my slam. I was supposed to go last weekend to Kansas for my Rio but my wife and I had our first child on the 27th of April so I had to reschedule.
So next year I plan to get my Rio and take a trip to Mexico for my Gould's!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm i actually went online the night before i left and just printed up my permits. I am so hooked on turkey hunting it is crazy. I was actually out yesterday in Michigan and shot one in the morning. I was hoping to pop him with my bow but he began walking away so i gave him a dirt nap with my scatter gun.

So this year i got 3/4 of the way with my slam (osceola, merriams and eastern). My wife and I recently had our first child so i had to cancel my rio hunt. Plan to tackle that one next year with possibly a trip to Mexico for my Gould's turkey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.