Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The river has run cold high and fast this Spring. To the point that we had to forfeit the idea of "full-on" wading longer than usual.

The droves of buckets lining the shoreline on Cinco de Mayo gave me little option though...so I mustered the courage and ambition to attempt a crossing. I was subsequently swept downstream about 10 yards once I stepped into chest deep water. about mid river. Luckily there is a shallow ridge where I managed to regain my footing and my composure.
At this point I had a choice...attempt to follow the ridge across in efforts of continuing my endeavor or make my way back from where I came in...failed and dejected.

I pushed on.

In my mind there was a "spot" that I knew would more than likely have the smallmouth stacked and virtually untouched yet this Spring. I also knew with the current as strong as it was I'd never be able to get above it where I wanted to be...casting downstream...but if I could at least get below it..within casting distance maybe I could fire a few shots up the lane and reel back as fast and as furiously as my beat up old Team Daiwa reel could manage..I might get into a fish or two.

I love it when a plan pays off=)

I went back the very next day and played the same game.

Crankbaits were the ticket both days if I remember correctly.
I was too tired to try and walk back across the river so I figured I'd just pull out on the East side (I had parked on the West) and walk through town towards the bridge in my waders..It wouldn't be the first time.=)
I made a final cast up into the shallows as I approached the shoreline...

My next full day out I met up with Eye.

The river had come down a bit and we decided to explore a little.

In some areas the current was still pretty strong though..

This was a great moment..we both made a cast and got a double..so a picture of Eye holding a fish and taking a picture of...

...me holding a fish and taking his picture=)

Crankbaits and grubs were both productive.

The next time Eye and I made it out the river had come down to much more manageable levels conducive to wading.

Notice how the one day I decide to go with the spinning rod and light jigs I find myself off target.

Had a few solo flights here and there as I could manage...

Ending with my biggest fish so far this year..

But Spring's not over yet ;)

Sorry to the dial up users :lol:

GoodFishin'

Darth

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I get excited every time I see one of your posts Darth, great job out there!

Your pics are all awesome, my favorite is the closeup of the black/white grub in the smallies mouth.

I've never waded before but have been thinking about getting into it this fall it looks like a GREAT TIME!

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Killer report, Darth! Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

I absolutely love the Fox River.

And Sean... you HAVE TO get out and wade that river. It's a whole lot different of an experience and fun as hell!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys=)

Islandfisher...I'm with Jason on the wading recommendation though you could probably tell by my username I'm a bit biased :wink:
There's just nothing like it.

If you need any tips or help getting started don't hesitate to ask=)

Eye...great time this weekend buddy...post is in the works :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
wow i just saw this post. a truly outstanding post! I loved the pictures and reading your comments. nice fish and congrats on your successful outings! i hope to see more coming. :D :shock:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.