Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I went up to the Milwaukee Harbor yesterday to fish for some browns. We started trolling with no luck, then drifted skein with no luck. We finally found some fish and anchored and it was non-stop from there. I totally lost count, but it had to be over 40 browns ranging from 1-8 lbs. No monsters, but all the fish were fat and fought hard. The only downer of the day is having a pole go overboard while trolling. I didn't have it set up correctly in the rod holder and I looked over and it was gone. Other then that, it was a fine day to be on the water with the West winds protecting us.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my forearms are sore from those fish. We ended up giving that top fish away to another boat because it was hooked bad. We also kept 2 other bleeders for another friend. Other then that, all fish were released.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow Matt :!: :!: :!:

That must have been a great time! the fish look great.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Damn Matt u sure do get around

Nice fish !

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
"Holy giant bleeding fish, Batman!" :shock:

Nice job, Matt!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
how do browns taste in comparison to salmon and other varieties of trout. don't trout in general taste better than salmon?

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I have to give total credit to my partner on this one. He knew where they were and also what bait they would be hitting. I was just along for the ride. If you check out the Milwaukee Harbor thread on Lake-Link, there is a picture of Augman and I fighting a double that another guy shot of us that day.

Augy, I really don't know. There are waste treatment plants all along that area, so I'm not going to eat them. We gave one away to another boat that was going to die, and also kept two bleeders for another mutual friend. Simply sport for myself. I did keep a couple browns a few years ago, and I remember the fillets being a darker red on them, compared to the salmon. As far as taste goes, I don't know, I thought they were both decent.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man. I think I convinced myself that I will have to buy two set-ups this winter now. I was thinking of just replacing the Symetre and then buying a Sedona also :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a little of everything, but my most common (and most used) all around setup is a Shimano Symetre on a 7 foot medium action Ugly Stik. It is a good jack of all trades setup. The Symetre comes with two quality spools so I can switch out depending on what I am fishing for. For topwaters and crankbaits, I love these combos. I really tend to look more at getting high quality reels then rods. A rod has never failed me with a fish, but some of the cheapo reels I had as a kid sure did. There is nothing worth then playing a big fish and having the drag stick just enough to break the line or pop a hook out. What are some of your setups?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts