Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used them before and want to try them this weekend for bass. Need some help...What kind, size. How to keep them alive for a couple of days. Rigging etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I would get some medium or large fatheads or some large golden roaches. The fatheads are a lot less expensive. You can keep them alive for quite awhile if you use an aerator like those used for fish tanks. Then just change some of the water as it gets dirty and take out the dead ones. I have some minnows that are almost 2 weeks old in my basement right now. Surprisingly they don't need any food.

As far as rigging them there are numerous ways. You want to keep the minnow alive so don't put the hook through the middle of the body. One way that I like to hook them is to go into one eye and out the other. Another way is to hook them near the tail. For hooks, I like to use either a #6 or #8 hook. I've heard that circle hooks are good, but I usually use an aberdeen.

I hope this helps. Good luck! :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
can never go wrong with large fatheads. all purpose minnows. they seem to last longest of the minnows in my experience.

using an aerator does help but not neccessary. just change the water frequently and keep the water as cool as possible. i've left my minnow bucket in my car in -20 weather and they were ok with a nice sheet of ice forming over the top.

i rig them thru both lips. i don't have the heart to jam it thru both eyes like doc. you can also lightly hook them thru the dorsal fin. thru the lips seems to keep them alive longer. also allows them to swim with more freedom. kinda hard to swim around with a big hook thru you back if ya know what i mean.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It really depends what your fishing for. If you are fishing for Crappie I would use the small fatheads. Walleye, Smallies, and LMB use the Large Fatheads. If you are going for Pike or LMB use Roaches.

I usually try hooking them thru the lips at first but if thats not working I will hook them in the tail or right behind the dorsal. Sometimes when u hook them this way it is just what the fish are looking for. As Augy said it is hard to swim with a hook in your back. Yes, the minnows die quicker but the struggle more, in turn can give that xtra erractic action of a struggling fish that the will fish will sense in their lateral line.

As far as hooking in the eyes I was told not to do it. Mainly for the reason that you want your minnows to see a predator ready to strike. Did u ever notice ur bobber bouncing frantically right before a strike? The baitfish fleeing from a predator, can make the him a little more agressive to strike the bait, I do guess that it also can deter a him from striking too, but I am willing to take that chance. IMO :)

After I wrote this I realized that you are going for bass, LOL Use large Fatheads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. As far as rigging...What's the proper set up for using a slip bobber and also "tipping" a jig?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey MrB, any websites/articles you could recommend for river fishing for novices?

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I could keep them alive for a long time with an aerator. The pet stores have small ones for up to 10 gallons, which will only cost like $5. When you do change water, don't use water from your sink.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts