Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, fell 93 fish short of last weeks outting with Darrell Baker .

I took my son out Monday on the Chain to try to get on the same pattern as last weeks success we had with Darrell. Worked Marie and Bluff for crappie only picked up 2 in 12 to 17 fow. worked a few docks picked up 1 gill. Ran into Darrell on Bluff he stated he was having a tough day too.

Trolled lake Marie with Big Daddy's and spinners picked up 3 white bass and one micro-walleye. Lost one heaver fish.

By noon full sun temps about 90 we hit Channel lake spent 1 hr trying to establish some kind of pattern. Hit the north end 20mph winds were pounding us then worked the calm south end with no success.

Spent an hour over the course of the day looking for a bass pattern with no results.

Hot and frustrated we left by 1:30 licking our wounds. :oops: Worst boating outing this year since an early spring cold front day....

NPIKE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well it sounds like you covered the water well. Sometimes even when your doing all the right things, fish just wont cooperate. Ultimately, Mother Nature is always in charge. :wink:

Still better than a day at work. :)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
While ihave very limited experience on chain have always gotten fish under Grass lake bridge..... smallies walleyes or largies seem to like it there. Next time your there would give it 15 minutes at least.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip Coyote I will definitly note it on my chain map and give it a try.

I think most of my frustration came from wanting to get my son on a good bite. I have a tendency to overwork past successful patterns when I take him or friends that only fish a couple times a year out on the boat.

I feel bad taking friends out for a fun time if we don't catch fish. I can't imagin the pressure JD feels if he has a bad day taking a client out.

NPIKE

NPIKE

·
Registered
126 Posts
NPIKE said:
I feel bad taking friends out for a fun time if we don't catch fish. I can't imagin the pressure JD feels if he has a bad day taking a client out.

NPIKENPIKE
It can be frustrating. Many times I can pick fish up in a certain area, return the next day and get skunked. I do my best to make the day enjoyable and educational but lets face it, people expect fish. I feel awful when it happens but there's never a guarantee when it comes to fishing. All you can do it put as many odds in your favor as you can on any given day and make sure people get the best shot at it. The hardest part of guiding for me is when we have a bad day and find out others caught fish. It's like I'm competing against every fisherman on the lake. On the Chain, that can be allot of lines in the water. Odds are, somebody is gonna catch a fish. :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JD wrote:
I do my best to make the day enjoyable and educational but lets face it, people expect fish.
You hit it on the head with educational to me thats the most important..
We all want to get on fish but I would rather be with a guide and learn something than put the numbers up and not understand the how and why.

I had a guide recommended by a resort owner once that had the greatest personality but completly avoided the conversation of fishing, we hit a few of his holes using same presentation a jig and minnow, no results nothing learned. I wasn't upset we didn't catch anything but that I learned more about his life story than fishing.. This left a bad impression with me for years. Now I am more careful.

It's great you post up here and on other sites people can see your passion and that you are an educator. Your honest in your posts', share information and people know what they are getting.

NPIKE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.