Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out to try for some perchies at Montrose and end up finding what looked to be hundreds of smelt. The wife snagged one and I'm not exactly sure but it looked like smelt. They were very very big however. Also saw what looked to be carp, two of them, looked like a pair. Very, very big. Easy 15lb maybe even 20. They were ginormous! :shock:

Anyway, can someone confirm whether these small fish were smelt? They seemed to be too big for smelt but I'm no smelt expert. They ran between 6-9 inches. All over the place.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They were most likely not smelt. Maybe alewives or chubs. Did they look like this?...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, they sure didn't look like that. I guess they were Al's wifes, I mean alewives.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are alewives, but it just drives me insane that they will stare at my jig or minnow and not do anything. They'll follow it all the way up and just look at it. I'll have to remember to bring my cast net so I can get a close look at those things. I do see where Will's coming from with the lake shiner (because of the large size). Whatever it is, remember that alewives=hungry perch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts