Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice time yesterday. Went straight to Montrose to find that the bait shop was still closed. Ended up going to Henry's...my first time there. They were really nice and helped me out. By the time I got back to Montrose, I was ready to set and my powerline and saw the waves...they were too big so I ended up fishing for perch. I used large fatheads and a small weight. Nothing much, but I quickly found the fish and ended up having a pretty good day. Got around 20 and only kept 11. They were a pretty nice size (8-12 inches). There was this one guy who was fishing with an ICE FISHING pole, using a Mepps spinner! I'm like, yeah right, he's not going to catch anything. He got a brown...which was the funniest fight that I have ever seen. Hilarious! The guy was screaming (he didn't talk English, so I had no idea what he was saying) and I guess he wanted a net. I thought that he got his line caught so I just kept fishing. Once he finally got it in, it was a nice trout, probably around 8 or 9 pounds. Overall, it was a fun day. I did take a picture of the perch on my phone, but I have no idea on how to post it. I can email to someone, if they want to post it. I'm just happy to see the perch here again, and I'll definitely be back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
good report Phil i was at montrose yesterday too, didn't shoot out either we stayed in the harbor by where the handicap pier is, cast a spoon for about 3 hours and got a viscious strike but didn't set the hook properly and lost it felt like a big 1! :oops: let me know when you're power-lineing i've got all the gear. as for the pics Augy can help you with that.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
That's the thing with harbor perch, you just gotta find them and once you do it's all business.

Phil, if you want to know how to post pics send me a pm. If you just want me to post the pics for you, email them to me. Either way, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Augy. I'm thinking about going out again at Montrose on Saturday. Should I even bother, or should I wait for some warmer weather?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I'd say go whenever you get a chance to fish, be it 20 or 75 degrees. I'm thinking about trying montrose tonight myself. But it is quite chilly. Brrrrr!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I went again today and easily limited out. Got there at about 1:00 and and stayed until it got dark. Needless to say, I FROZE! I was with two of my friends and had fun time. I was using minnows again and fishing on the bottom. Today was actually much better than last week, because I got 3 jumbos today (all around 13 or 14 inches). Most were small and the bigger ones that I kept were about 10 to 11 inches. While I was fishing, I was talking to my friends and I got this HUGE hit. I quickly set the hook and it was on. I didn't have a net, but the guy next to us did and he quickly got it...assuming it was a salmon or trout. It just kept pulling and it got away. When I pulled my line in, my entire hook was gone. I really wish that I could have seen it. Overall, I had a good time, even though it was so cold. Oh, before I forget, I snagged (on accident), 3 or 4 small fish that I didn't know what the were. They were silver in color, had a light purple/blue stripe, and only about 3-4 inches in length. I assumed they were smelt, but the guy next to us thought that they were some kind of baitfish. I had no idea. Whatever they are, there is going to be lots of them in our nets when smelt season starts. Augy...I emailed you a picture of the perch if you want to post it. Sorry about the picture...my hand shook when I was taking it, so it is a little blurry (I was COLD...lol).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Augy. I was at Montrose again...on the only dock with the keycode...gate E? (the other gates are locked with a padlock and chain). I think I was on the second or third pier and moved further down as it got darker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts