Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that I'd go to Montrose today with the SW winds. So I leave around 4:00, get bait, and I'm fishing by 5:00. First of all, it took like 10 minutes just to find a parking spot. I ended up walking like 3 or 4 blocks just to get to my spot. Montrose was loaded. There were people everywhere. I swear that there must have been someone like every 2 feet as far as I could see on the lake side. It was crazy. But...almost everyone was catching fish. At the beginning, it was slow. I maybe only got like one or two fish. Once the sun started going down, things totally changed. I switched from a drop shot rig to a slip bobber and I was constantly on fish. It was just fish after fish. I had not expected to get so many fish...so as I was catching them, I would give them all away. Until, I got this guy...

This was the biggest perch that I've caught in a long time. I'm glad that they are back. Too bad that the wind shifted again. The next time that it's S, I'll be out for sure. Here's some more pics of the rest of the fish that I ended up keeping...

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Great Job phil !!

Keep up the fantastic work :D

Nice fish...

I'll make it out soon...

Thanks for the inspiration :D

George

:arrow:

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Dude... those are some very nice perch. What were you using?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using regular sized fatheads on a slip bobber with a small hook (#8 I think). The guy next to me also had a slip bobber setup, but he had large fatheads and wasn't catching much, so I think that the smaller sized minnows make a difference. I had like three people like come and ask me what I was using. I just made sure to keep the slip bobber like 2 feet off the bottom. Good luck if you go out there and look for the SW winds that will bring the bigger fish in.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
NIce Perch I used to Fish the Hourse shoe when I was kid with my dad You just brought back some old memories

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Nice perch. I have been wanting to get down to the lakefront to fish for some perch. I don't know if I want to deal with the crowds though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts