Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady and I are planning a trip to montrose harbor, and we don't want to get skunked seeing as we usually do. Anyone have any tips for a desperate fisherman as to what type of rigs I should use for perch or even some salmon (if my pole can handle it) but we are going for anything! If someone gives me a few tips and I go out and catch a few maybe I'll send a kudos your way in the report ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to familar with perch fishing but can tell you a little something about Salmon fishing. First you need to get a fishing license and then get a salmon stamp which is $10 extra dollars. This is very important because the ranger will bust you and give you at least a $75.00 fine or more.

Night fishing is a blast at Montrose. Just bring a couple of chairs and you can fish anywhere in the harbor or where the mouth is. You can fish 24 hours.

The Lure to use is any deep diving crank baits which are bright in color. (green, yellow, Chartreuse) or (Blue) Typical mfgs are Storm, Reef Runners, Rapala J-13, Frenzy. Make sure it is a deep diving crank to get down at least 15 feet. The retrieve is nice a slow with slight pauses.

Another less expensive options are spoons. Sizes are 2/5oz. 1/2oz, 3/4oz size spoons. Typical mfg. are Acme Little Cleo, KO Wobblers, Krocodile, Kast Master. Fishing at night you need a glow spoon. You will find fisherman using a camera flash to energize the spoon. You can also just use a normal flash-light.

You line should be at least 12 lbs. If you want to get fancy get some braided 20lbs test (not necessary). You can fish an 8 pound just make sure your lure is not too heavy or else you'll snap the line.

Pole length does matter but all depends whats in the budget. Good size is at least 7 feet - 8'6" is typical. Idea is the longer the pole, the farther you'll cast

If you want to fish with a slip bobber which is basically a bobber with a weight and a hook. The difference with a slip bobber is you can set the depth. Fishing depth for salmon is 15 feet.

The bait to use with a bobber could be Cured salmon eggs in a spawn sac, (night-crawlers could be used)

The hook size should be a size #2 or size #6 Gamatstu (s/p) is a good brand. Its important that the hook is small so the salmon can't see it and its very sharp so you can pierce the hard mouth of theirs.

And Lastly, when you hook that Salmon and you have that fish on, be sure to warn the rest of the fisherman because the fish will take off and get tangled with all the rest of the lines. You want to let the drag loose and let the fish run. The idea is to exhaust the fish then reel it in while he has no fight in him. If you try to fight him in while he is strong, he will snap the line, pole, or hook.

For perch fishing. You can probably use a #3-#4 Mepps Spinner Bait.

I hope this helps

:D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the help! The only concern I have with the salmon is that my girlfriend is 5' and about 100 lbs, a cheerleader build. If she gets ahold of anything over 15+ lbs I'll be doing CPR! Haha but I do plan on adjusting my pole to catch some salmon. How effective is using jigs in the lake? Thanks again :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hair Jigs, Tube Jigs, Mighty Mites jigs are great for walleyes, Crappie, and even perch (smaller the better). Mighty mite (brand name) jigs are real effective even on a bobber. I recommend tube jugs, with a plastic twister tail or a minnow bait on the end of it. You can let it sink to the bottom and then jig it up and down. Usually a Walleye will hit it at night-time.

Another alternative is to get some small flathead minnows from a local bait shop and put it on a Mustad hook (not too big) with some weight attached about 12" up on the line. A catfish should take it. You can also use night-crawlers in place of the minnows.

P.S I am not sure if perch are even in the harbor usually they like colder water and more prominent north. You can talk to the local bait shop and ask them where the best place to fish perch. I have seen them caught off the rocks but not in the harbor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
babyduke said:
Do you need a steel leader for salmon or trout?
Actually a 20lb - 30lb ball bearing swivels are ideal. You can use a snap swivel straight to the lure. Another rig is from your line tie to a swivel then to a 15 lbs flourocarbon leader 12 - 18 inches. That ties direct to the Lure.

The flourocarbon leader is ideal because salmon can't see the line. With thicker line the fish can see it. Also fluorocarbon will stretch a little so when the fish hits it will give a little (prevents the fish from snapping the line)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.