Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to Montrose tomorrow night (Thursday Sept. 21) got my rat traps, glow in the dark spoons and all that other good stuff.

I was out there Sunday night and it wasn't pretty. Any recent success stories heard about Montrose?

Also, is it too early in the season to get a lot of action? I casted for about an hour...hour and a half and NOTHING! When does it start to pick up...or am I just not patient enough?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
From what I've heard, the fishing can be hit or miss this time of year. I don't think that it has peaked yet though. I went to Waukegan this morning and saw a ton of fish jumping, but I caught the only fish from shore while I was there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thursday night it was so windy there were 3-5 foot swells in the actual harbor! This sail boat coming in...well lets just say that guy knew what he was doing.

As for me and catching salmon...I'm beginning to think I don't know what I'm doing. But I bet that's how everyone felt last night because I didn't see anyone lugging any fish back to their cars.

There was a Southeast wind blowing at about 15-25 mph.

I tried a silver and purple rat trap (i don't know what size) and a silver spoon 3/4...nothing!

I casted for about an hour and a half...no Luck...so a SKUNK I guess it's called.

But man do I want to catch one of those! They're such beauties, and they eat good too!

Help me out...where they at, when do I go, what do i use, how do i use it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went out saturday morning with two of my cousins and got the big skunk. Nobody even got any hits even though we saw fish swimming in the harbors (we hit Belmont and Diversey too) and jumping in the open water. I only saw one guy with a salmon and another pulling a pretty big LM out of Belmont on a spoon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went out to waukegan last night, stayed about 2 hours and got 1 nice coho. I was using 8lb test with a 3/4 little cleo silver/green spoon. If you put your time in, you will catch a fish. Everyone around me was getting them too so I will definetly be back there tonight. I was throwing crankbaits but didn't get any hits, the guy next to me caught his on a crankbait. On an 8lb test, this fish was FUN to catch, very exciting seeing it jump out of the water and just smoke my drag. Tight lines everybody!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Salmon are a blast to catch. There is something about hearing that drag screaming. That is music to my ears.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I would think a drill boaring into someone's mouth would be music to a dentist's ears! :lol:

Seriously though Tim, is there any technology on the horizon that might replace the dreaded drill?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
JasonN said:
I would think a drill boaring into someone's mouth would be music to a dentist's ears! :lol:

Seriously though Tim, is there any technology on the horizon that might replace the dreaded drill?
Jason, the sound of a dental drill can't compare to the sound of a drag screaming. As to your question, there already are alternatives to the drill, but they do not work as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i keep tellin u guys at montrose right after sunset start throwin a 3/4 ounce glo KO Wobler and get ready cause you're gonna need your net!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts