Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The river has mostly calmed down around here, but the current is still too fast for my liking. However this may be just how this particular area is - I am not overly familiar with it it. I went upstream throwing topwater and inline spinner. Caught a smallish pike almost right away, and a dinky bass shortly thereafter. Bot on the spinner, there was no topwater bite whatsoever. Retied to a squarebill recovered on my last paddle and hit a large bass on the very first cast. He gave me a great fight and I could see just a few feet from me, easily my PB on DPR, when it went under the yak and into a pile of sticks where I lost him. I blame it on the rod - I bought two Shimano rods last year and whiffed on both - heavy was such a broomstick I almost blew out my elbow, and this MH is most certainly way weaker than an MH should be. I continued further upstream. Caught another bass on the spinner, then saw a pike bump the squarebill. Tossed the spinner in the same spot - nothing. Repeated with the squarebill and this time the pike took it, 22-24" range I think. Threw the squarebill again in the same spot and caught a second, virtually identical pike. That's when the disaster struck - while unhooking it I knocked the net with the lure still in it off the yak. Whatever, I thought, I'll get in a sec, it's a floating net. What I found out in a sec is that the current sucked both the net and the crank under the pile of rubble. I pulled and pulled and tried to maneuver myself around the rubble, but eventually the line snapped. Did not get any bites after that and after a short while turned around and floated back to the launch.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Way to go. What method of retrieval did you follow up with, wadding or snagging?
Neither. It was dumb luck. I paddled up to the spot armed with an anchor, hand saw, rope, totally willing to spend some quality time demolishing that whole area, and from 20 feet out I saw the rim of the net sticking out on the downstream side. It's just got washed up top and stayed in just the right place.
It came in handy, too.
Vertebrate Blue Hood Fishing net Water

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Good for you. I snapped a lure off on a cast on the DPR. Immediately went to the spot where it splashed but no luck. A few months later the water level was down and I was in the area. I thought let’s go see. I think it was right over here. Looked down and there it was. I tied on a big spoon and snagged it on my first attempt. I wish that would have happened when a St. Croix rod paired with a Lews Tournament Pro went overboard.

~JOE~

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish that would have happened when a St. Croix rod paired with a Lews Tournament Pro went overboard.
I hear you. I had one river setup that probably cost around $120, one, and I did not wish for more. Then I lost it. Since then I bought 4 rods, 4 reels and I am continuously on a lookout for one more rod .

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
Nice recovery and fish. My buddy lost a combo on Lake Geneva and we went back the next day when it was dead calm. We could see the rod sitting on a deep drop off in 20-25 feet of water. I could not snag that rod for nothing with the water distortion. Eventually the wind picked up a tad and we never saw it again. Kudos on an excellent recovery.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice recovery and fish. My buddy lost a combo on Lake Geneva and we went back the next day when it was dead calm. We could see the rod sitting on a deep drop off in 20-25 feet of water. I could not snag that rod for nothing with the water distortion. Eventually the wind picked up a tad and we never saw it again. Kudos on an excellent recovery.
Apparently, the way to do it is with a chain fish stringer. I've seen several videos of people recovering their lost gear just by dragging it on the bottom in the general vicinity of the mishap.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Cool story!

Apparently, the way to do it is with a chain fish stringer. I've seen several videos of people recovering their lost gear just by dragging it on the bottom in the general vicinity of the mishap.
Yep, I've done this before with Heddonfrog looking for a combo. We casted the stringers with open hooks with heavy swimbait rods dragging an area where he thought the combo was. We had no luck, I know I snagged my stringer and broke it off. Funny to think about it looking back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts