Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting possibly getting a trolling motor or an outboard motor or both for fishing on area lakes (i.e. Deep Lake, Defiance Lake, Independence Grove, etc.). I am probably better off with just the trolling motor since a few lakes don't allow gas motors at all. Seeing as most of these places have 12' to 14' rowboats what kind of power should I be looking for from a transom mount trolling motor and what am I looking at cost wise (motor and batteries and of course the battery cover)? Never had a motor before so not sure what I need. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Bass Pro has the Minn-Kota 30lb thrust motor on sale right now for $95 bucks. That's $60 off the normal price. Add a battery and box and you should be able to get out the door for less than $170 with tax. That motor should be fine for trolling Deep Lake with the small boats that they have.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_200-2-1

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
A 45 lb thrust works really good on a rowboat, so I think a 30 would be plenty too. The 45 was on sale for $99 I think, at the bps spring thing. Sean got a battery from walmart for $60, and it was the biggest deep cycle they had. A nice automatic charger from harbor freight was $25. He used the battery like 4 times in a row, without realizing the charger wasnt plugged in at all! And it worked great every time! :lol: :lol: :lol: That must be a decent battery. We weiged it and it came in at almost 70 pounds though. It weighs more that the 45 lb thrust trolling motor :lol: My recomendation, get a smaller battery. Easier to move around, and it wont weigh the boat down so much.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I have been contemplating getting a portable TM myself. My thought process is that since it will be my primary mode of transporation (unless you like to row), the more thrust the better. I was thinking more along the lines of 50 lb thrust, although that might be overkill. Also with the batteries, I think it is a good idea to always have two. I really would not want to limit myself to 6 hours when the fishing is good. I guess for myself, I am willing to spend another $100 to have a little extra insurance and better accomodations. Think of all the money we spend on tackle, bait, ect. Spending a little more $ might be worth it because the TM should give us enjoyment for years. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
you can get some sweet deals on ebay! seen 45lb thrust go for less than $30 bucks. of course shipping is what kills the deal but there are many local sellers too. goodluck and let me know when you get it so i can borrow it sometime. :wink: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a 12v 55lb thrust on my 14' and it pushes great. It prolly is overkill, but I like it. :D I would basicially get as much thrust as u can afford. But keep it at 12v you dont want to have to carry more than one battery. Make sure it is a deep cell not a cranking battery also. I got the biggest one I could find at wally world for about 60 bucks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i have a 5hp 4-stroke and a 30lb trolling motor with 12v deep cycle battery. both are sufficient for most any situation imho.

i noticed one insight when we upgraded from a 12' boat to a 15.5' boat with a wider beam, we went faster with the same power. my point is that it is as much the boat and the weight put into it as it is the power of the motor, its the displacement of water that will determine the speed of the craft vs. hp or thrust, at least with lower power motors. if you are heavier, like me, and in a smaller boat you will need more power, if you a smaller and in a larger (but lightweight/aluminum) boat you will need less. also, how you angle them at the transom make a big difference, the correct angle will push the bow up and thus make your boat plane easier and go quicker.

if i could only choose one that would be a hard call but probably the 4-stroke because FP lakes are so small anyway and most other lakes will allow up to 10hp. though the trolling is nicer than rowing :D don't most places that rent boats allow gas motors too? other than FP lakes, which probably aren't worth renting a boat for anyway :p

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think at this point based on my available funds I am looking basically at a trolling motor only. I am doing research on the Minn Kota Endura model. Is this a pretty good motor to go with? I am probably in the 30lb to 36lb thrust range, but I might be able to swing a 40lb depending on the cost of the other items like the battery and the charger. What manufacturer of deep cycle batteries is the best that you guys have seen? Also, what kind of battery charger should I look for? Thanks again!! :D

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Go to walmart and Get the battery. You cant go wrong there. Biggest, strongest ones like 60$.
I would get an automatic charger, that will switch on and off itself to maintain the proper voltage. This way you can just leave it hooked up between uses and the charger makes the decisions about charge rate and amperage.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I got a nice one for $25 at Harbor Freight Tools. Its by Dundee ardnd Arlington hts rd. and they always have deals, but You can probly find that type at walmart for less than $40. But then again I never looked at for chargers there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you fish a lot and want a top of the line battery. You cannot beat an Optima deep cycle marine. They are awesome batteries! They are about 15 lbs lighter than conventional batteries and require no maintaince other than charging. Granted they are in excess of $150, but for the guys who fish a lot and push the limits with electronics and motors Optimas are where it's at

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. Picked up the motor, battery, charger and of course battery cover on Friday after work. Because I won't be getting both the gas and trolling motor I went with the Minn Kota Endura 55. I went to Bass Pro Shops and checked it out and after some research discovered that Dick's had it for much cheaper. Until June 30th they are running a promotion with Minn Kota that gives you a $30 Visa gift card mail in rebate if you purchase the Endura 55. Also, if you sign up for the Dick's ScoreCard or for their credit card (no annual fee) you also get another $10 off. So I walked out of there getting the same motor that was $35 cheaper than BPS. Can't beat that. 55 pounds of thrust should really get me across the water pretty quickly when I need it. Thanks again and see you out on the water!! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.