Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting into riding a bike this summer and want to buy a used one in good condition dont know much about biking so even some pointers would be nice on what kind of bike to get for a beginner. its for exercise, but i kinda want to take it on some trails this summer by my cabin. let me know PM me if u want to

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
So I am assuming that you are planning on taking it off-road? You definitely want to get something with a suspension at least on the front fork. I would get disc brakes as well, that way you can still stop when it's wet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I used to mnt bike quite a bit. Front end suspension (forks) are important if you off road. Rear suspension is really only needed if you have a bad back or are gonna do some serious mountain terrain and not just midwest hills. You want to be sure the crossbar is about 1" below your...you know. Disc brakes are nice, but they come at a high price tag. You probably won't need them given the fact that you won't likely be on any steep declines or going 50mph downhill! But they are nice...

Gary Fisher bikes are fairly standard mnt bikes, if you found one of his then you'd be in a good place. Trek is also quite good. Basically stay away from Huffy and anything you'd find in KMart or Walmart. Go to a stand alone bike shop and look around at some names in the general price range and you'd probably get a good idea of what you can afford and what is halfway decent. Mikes Bikes in Palatine is a good shop.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another fairly local bike shop is Village Cycle in Elk Grove (Arlington Heights Road and Higgins). And while you top there, say hi to Lee at lee's Bait and Tackle. Nice guy - good deals.

·
Registered
593 Posts
For your riding all good points above.

Before you get on, try lifting the bike.

The lighter the better.

Many ~cheaper bikes will have a little extra weight that you'll be pedalling around.

Lift a few and you'll see the diference.

I went medium end but a MT bike not a crossover.

I bet my bike is lighter than my sons.
For me thats less weight I need to push.

Just my $0.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.