Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got a chance to get a new Musky rod free and clear. I've been debating on what to get, not sure of a 7' or 7'6" and MH or H?

Tackel inventory is minimal right now, only a couple spinners, bucktails and bull dawgs.

Advice and/or opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ok if the 7' 6'' rod is probably the way youre gunna want to go. the extra lenth for further casts and easier figure 8s. my first musky rod was a 6' 6'' and i cant tell you how many fish i missed since i couldnt figure 8 and get those follows to strike at the boatside. then if you really want to use the bulldawgs go with the heavy rod. those are lures that put so much stress on the rod not only when you cast it but at you work it back all the jerkin and constant motion puts even more stress on the rod. with the heavy action you will get a little less distance out of the spinner baits but probably not enough to mean you wont be able you to cast where ever you want. if you use the bulldawg... again because of all the weight i would advise to cast more sidearm to put just a little less stress on the rod. so i guess if you are going to build your tackle around bigger baits like bulldawgs and some of the larger crankbaits and swimbaits then get the heavier rod. if you are gong to end up just throwing spinners then the medium heavy would probably allow for easier and farther casts. but either way i would go would with the 7' 6'' for figure 8ing purposes. you will quickly learn that many of these fish follow right up and wont hit til the last second. plus make sure to use a lighter leader with spinners like a 80# and a heavier maybe 120# stiffer leader with things like the bulldawg and crank/jerk baits. hope i helped :)

and if you dnt mind me askin... what brand rod are you looking at???

·
Banned
655 Posts
midwestmuskyhunter said:
ok if the 7' 6'' rod is probably the way youre gunna want to go. the extra lenth for further casts and easier figure 8s. my first musky rod was a 6' 6'' and i cant tell you how many fish i missed since i couldnt figure 8 and get those follows to strike at the boatside. then if you really want to use the bulldawgs go with the heavy rod. those are lures that put so much stress on the rod not only when you cast it but at you work it back all the jerkin and constant motion puts even more stress on the rod. with the heavy action you will get a little less distance out of the spinner baits but probably not enough to mean you wont be able you to cast where ever you want. if you use the bulldawg... again because of all the weight i would advise to cast more sidearm to put just a little less stress on the rod. so i guess if you are going to build your tackle around bigger baits like bulldawgs and some of the larger crankbaits and swimbaits then get the heavier rod. if you are gong to end up just throwing spinners then the medium heavy would probably allow for easier and farther casts. but either way i would go would with the 7' 6'' for figure 8ing purposes. you will quickly learn that many of these fish follow right up and wont hit til the last second. plus make sure to use a lighter leader with spinners like a 80# and a heavier maybe 120# stiffer leader with things like the bulldawg and crank/jerk baits. hope i helped :)

and if you dnt mind me askin... what brand rod are you looking at???
Would have been too lazy to write all of this but I agree to about 100% of it.

If no bulldawgs, then I'd go with 7ft6in Med. heavy - pretty good overall for bucktails and anything lighter than 3oz.

Take the rod length and the places you will be fishing at into consideration as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If those are your only choices I'd go with the 7'6" heavy (because of the bulldawgs). Always go longer than you think. Just so you know I am currently looking to get an 8'0" or 8'6" rod because it's so much easier to figure 8 with the longer rod. Look at what the pros use and you will see a plethora of 8'6" rods these days.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I wasn't set on either one of those lengths. Open to suggestion as to brands. I've been using an older South Bend 7' MH, it's actually a cat rod, but has worked for the small moosky I've caught.

8' or longer rods might pose a transport problem, my boat is only 15' long, and a 7'6" rod gets the tip slightly bent in my rod holder now.

It makes sense about the longer rods and easier to perform figure 8s though. I guess I'll have to start taking a look around, and picking a few up to see how they feel too.

I'll be putting my Ambasedeur 6600 on it.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
8' or longer rods might pose a transport problem, my boat is only 15' long, and a 7'6" rod gets the tip slightly bent in my rod holder now.

It makes sense about the longer rods and easier to perform figure 8s though. I guess I'll have to start taking a look around, and picking a few up to see how they feel too.
Don't worry about rod lengths.. If you fish atop a casting deck, the longest rod you can get away with will prove being beneficial. I've got an 8-footer and a few 7ft 6's that I work with. The higher up you fish above surface, they work awesome. If I stand on the main floor of my boat, they suck and I opt to go with my shorter 7-footers as figure-8's become more strenuous with longer rod.

Highly recommend Shimano Compres - run for about $120'ish but been able to get mine for $80-100. If I had to choose between Compre or any St. Croix that's under $250 I'd still take Compre. I love mine.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up with a Daiwa VIP- 7'6" H action. Really nice rod, and picked it up for $90 shipped. Might eventually pick up a MH for casting spinners/bucktails a bit farther.

Now for a few more things, and I should be essentially equipped for the toothy bite. Looking forward to it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.