Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody check out the musky in the sun times sunday paper?
60" 28.5"GIRTH estimated 60 pound musky caught on Lac Seul Ontario
beautiful fish cool story ,the guy who caught it is from N W side 8) 8) [/b]

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
That is a nice fish. Does anyone else wonder if that fish is 60' though? It really does not look like even a 50' to me :cry: What about that 26'' smallie reported about a month back. From the photo is does not even appear to be 20''. I guess it makes no difference either way, but I see some of these and it makes me scratch my head :p

·
Registered
953 Posts
A fisherman overstating the length of a fish? No! That never happens. I mean just last week I caught a 40" largemouth. No lie!

In all seriousness though it could have been upper 50's. Once you get that close some people will stretch it out just a little more to hit a magical number. I have heard numerous stories about guys catching 49" inch musky and being told "you know, it could have been 50" and then that person saying "yeah, you could be right. it was 50". Many fisherman are all about bragging and getting a nice round number like a 60" musky would be something to brag about and of course get your name in the paper.

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
Thats friggin huge! I agree that it might be an overestimation tho. Some guys never measure a fish, and say the length they think it is as if it was fact.
Yep, my cousin does that. He will describe his day with sizes down to a half inch, all without actual measurements. :lol: "Got a 14 1/2'', 16 1/2'', and a solid 18''. I will ask if he measured any of them. "No, but I have caught enough to have a good idea." One time out in my boat I asked him for an estimation as he landed a fish. "Oh, it is a solid 14 1/2'' fish." I took it to the tape and it was just about 13'' :p I totally understand the excitement, and I have been off on estimation before, but it makes me a little crazy to see gross overestimates printed as fact in the media. Somehow the buzzz of these record fish fade and the old records always remain the same :roll:

·
Banned
655 Posts
That Muskie was posted on MuskieFirst early last week.

Based on everyone's estimations and mine as well, there is absolutely no way on earth that fish is 60-inches. The fish would have to be remarkably long, and unless that guy is taller than 7ft, there is no way that fish could be that long. It's like holding up a 5 foot kid by his neck.

40lbs tops. It's got enough length for that mark, but not the girth to be an alleged 60lb fish.

Early to bed and early to rise. Fish like hell and make up lies! :lol: :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.