Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I landed my 100th topwater fish this season. It turned out to be a decent one! Got it on the Heddon Baby Torpedo in the Aurora area. I cast the Torpedo very near shore and this guy came out and hammered it.
Water Plant Vertebrate Lake Fish

Food Water Organism Fish Fin

I landed smaller ones before this and one more (smaller) one after this. So I'm at 101 fish on top for the season so far. Fun times!
Plant Organism Fish Fin Marine biology

Fin Underwater Marine biology Fish Ray-finned fish

Water Cloud Sky Plant Lake

Water Food Fish Plant Salmon-like fish

Turns out the one above, the 101st, is another rare (for me) Fox River largemouth.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no pikes there that you can use mono? I headed out with the plopper a few days ago hoping for some dusk topwater bass, instead it got slammed by a pike and the bass just weren't interested.
I've fished the Fox for many years. In all that time, my friend and I have hooked (not necessarily landed) 1 pike and 5 muskie. I guess the toothy critters happen so infrequently that I just use mono out of habit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've fished the Fox for many years. In all that time, my friend and I have hooked (not necessarily landed) 1 pike and 5 muskie. I guess the toothy critters happen so infrequently that I just use mono out of habit.
Lucky you. Dealing with a pike in a kayak can be an absolute drag, or at least it's not something I've quite mastered yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I need to start fishing top water for smallies more often! I don't know why, but I usually just stick with soft plastics or spinners. I guess it's just a habit, because I fish surface baits for largemouth all the time.
Nice fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts