Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Formally Ed Shirley's on Dempster, Fishtech is my local tackle store b/c it's so close to work. Also, I don't know too many places in the city.

I bought a Team Daiwa baitcasting rod this Spring from Fishtech and not too long ago, my rod tip broke. I took it back to them to see if they can do anything. They told me that they would send the rod to Daiwa and I should be able to get a new rod. Three weeks later, my new rod arrived and I paid $20 for the shipping and handling charges.

I was pleased to get a replacement fishing rod. The people there were pretty cool. They have some young guys and older gentlemen working there. I've dealt with most of them and they are mostly friendly and helpful. I spent several minutes one day talking with the older gentlemen about ice fishing. It was informative and it felt nice just chatting with other anglers about fishing. To me, it's a local fishing store that I try to support when I can.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
It's nice that they went thru the trouble of sending the rod in for ya even if you had to pay 20$. I have a St. Croix that I bought not long ago that broke and needs to be replaced. I'm going to have to do it myself and pay the 20 as well. Nice that they went the extra mile and helped you.

JB

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
I was there today and was impressed. The shelves are well stocked and the prices are good.

I believe the older guy is Big Jim, who has been there forever. And I think the younger couple might be the ones in charge but not sure. Either way, they were nice and helpful. Glad to see they are doing well.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I stopped in there this morning to pick up some minnows. The only gripe that I have with them is their hours. They close at 6 pm and don't open until 8 am, so if you want to pick up livebait you either have to do it the night before, or go out fishing later. Otherwise I have been very happy with the place compared to the way it was run as Ed Shirley's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
toothdoc said:
I stopped in there this morning to pick up some minnows. The only gripe that I have with them is their hours. They close at 6 pm and don't open until 8 am, so if you want to pick up livebait you either have to do it the night before, or go out fishing later. Otherwise I have been very happy with the place compared to the way it was run as Ed Shirley's.
I think 8 am is for their winter hours. I believe during summer they open earlier but then again, I'm going by what it was when it was an Ed Shirley store.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
i heard that f**kin ***hole who was one of the managers of shirleys is one of the owners of FISHTECH. F**K HIM!!!

i don't give a shit if they changed the name. if that asshole is running the show, you can be sure that that place is going down.

I'll drive the extra 20 minutes and go see Johnny at Lee's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.