Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bass pond i go to, usually produces on avrg 10 bass a day. got there today with robbiegill and hundreds of these oriantal goldfish in water. bass were no were to be found. i here they eat all eggs is there truth to that or fact. managed to snag one on accident. after un hooking hands smelled like condom lube very nasty. i think i need new spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
I totaly agree that's a real problem, people just don't understand the damage releasing non-native species in our waters causes. However I would be surprised if the goldfish really managed to destroy the bass population. Even if they do eat fish eggs that fact wouldn't affect the existing bass population. Also why wouldn't the bass eat the goldfish? I can't imagine they were the size of the specimine in your pic when they were realeased into the pond... Just some thoughts

·
Registered
513 Posts
That is an awful story and and even uglier fish.

·
Registered
369 Posts
that sucks man. me and my buddies had a little pond and then some some bucketheads found it and were taking 3 or 4 bass out every time we saw them. I dont think the pond is even an acre. totally depleated the population and now it's just not the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really hate the carp, they have destroyed a couple of really great spots for me, the latest one to die was a little hole in lake county just off 132 it was acquired by Lake county a couple of years ago, there is a little creek off a lake there, and in the creek there was this hole where me and my pops hooked 5-6 lunkers, one even bent my #2 hook. The next time we went there nothin but big cats and carp, then nothin but carp. And this all transpired in one season. I occasionally go back, but it is usually a worthless trip.
The carp seem to stir up the mud enough to mess up the ecosystem enough that the bass no longer spawn in those areas, or the carp just eat the eggs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i cant see a fish suffer. i rather just catch this things and give to people with backyard ponds.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was thinking about that goldfish in the picture, it's big. Meaning that it has probably survived a couple of Winters. Maybe you should let the DNR know about this problem and they can handle it? If those damned things spread to other waters it would trully suck! :evil:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its not really a pond so not sure if dnr can help. its behind a factory workers dug out a ditch size of maybee a football field. stocked with bass.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it was alive. very nasty almost wanted to vomit when i felt it. like a mixture of a bullhead and carp feeling

·
Registered
66 Posts
CatchNRelease said:
its not really a pond so not sure if dnr can help. its behind a factory workers dug out a ditch size of maybee a football field. stocked with bass.
I'm not certain bass thrive very well in a football-sized ditch w/o forage, food, structure, shade (hiding spots), etc... They stocked it w/ bass w/o anything else?!?!? A ditch behind the factory? Living conditions were probably sh!t which is why only carp/goldfish survived...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't want to beat the point to death or anything but I would hate to
see any of those bastard goldfish make it beyond that pond, ditch or whatever it is.
You could experiment with it by setting fish traps. See what lures the stinky critters in,
(I'll bet a half loaf of stale bread is just the ticket) if any sport fish get caught just throw them back.
The reason I mentioned the DNR is that they could apply rotenone to the body of water and wipee 'em all out!
After treatment the "ditch" could have potential as a bluegill pond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.